Recommendations for A New Used Kiln

Hi There!

I have been working towards building a home studio in my garage and recently purchased an old Duncan DK series kiln from a trusted potter friend. She has had it for many years but has not used it. She said that the friend she got it from probably fired it less than 25 times. The kiln looks to be in very good condition but I have not looked at the wiring yet. It has not been fired up for many years and was stored outside under a deep, sheltered porch. I have an electrician who has worked with kilns before coming out to take a look at it soon.

I am not new to ceramics and firing, but I have only worked with kilns that have already been used extensively and fire reliably. Once it has been wired up correctly, what test firing procedures would one do to determine how well it works? I have only found information online referring to brand new kilns.

Also, are there any videos or diagrams out there that clearly describe how to adjust the kiln sitter? I have only been able to find a tutorial with very poor pictures.

Any other procedures you would recommend for a new used kiln?

Thanks for your help!

edit: Some specifics from the plaque: its a Duncan DK 1029-2, LT-3K, 240 volt, 60 hz, E01800. Cone 8 max temp 2345f. Ill be eventually using it for mid-range stoneware functional pottery and sculpture.

Once it has been wired up correctly, what test firing procedures would one do to determine how well it works? I have only found information online referring to brand new kilns.

Also, are there any videos or diagrams out there that clearly describe how to adjust the kiln sitter? I have only been able to find a tutorial with very poor pictures.

You can download the manual for your kiln at this link:

http://www.paragonwe...Info.cfm?CID=22

Here is a Kiln Sitter manual published by Dawson:

http://www.paragonwe...Info.cfm?CID=42

This manual might be helpful, too, with your Kiln Sitter:

http://www.paragonwe...nfo.cfm?CID=148

Here is a manual on kiln installation:

http://www.paragonwe...Info.cfm?CID=13

Here is a video on the Kiln Sitter:

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Hi there,

Well as long as you are sure that the electrics are fine and you arent going to short your house, i would simply test it! I got a really old kiln and my electrician tested the pyrometer simply by heating it up with a tourch. You could also get some cones and just test a few ramps and see if you are getting the temps. I would call the duncan agent in your area and see if you can get a pdf file for the kiln. Hope that helps a bit.... Keep me posted how you get on. I can ask my electrician if you want. He is very kiln fit. Trina

Thank you both very much for your helpful replies!

Arnold, thanks for all the informative links!!

Is it possible to acquire a firing gauge for my kiln sitter? Are firing gauges of different dimensions for different kilns, or are they of a standard shape for all Duncans (or all kiln sitters regardless of kiln manufacturer?)

Also, could you tell roughly how old my kiln is from its model and serial number?

Trina, are you in the central Texas region? I called Armadillo Clay Supply and they recommended an electrician named Efren Oranday. I'd be happy to check out your electrician too, if he is in my area.

I think once its up and running Ill fire it at 05 empty except for kiln furniture and variouse witness cones scattered throughout. Then again at cone five or six.

Hi, I have no technical knowledge, so cant help there but have a few comments.

I've had 3 kilns, all second hand and all with unknown history and no manuals. I had a electrical safety check done them on first.

The first one I stacked with stilts, shelves and furniture and did some heats with cones on 3 areas (I was told its not good to heat an empty kiln). All very interesting but didnt actually provide me with a heap of info.

Now after nearly 400 firings I've decided kilns have a 'personality', a quirkiness that is unique to them.

After the usual safety tests I think you will get to know your new kiln with each firing.

Have fun, it sounds like a gem!

BTW- Arnold always blows me away with how generous he is, and quick of the mark, to share so much tech data on kilns!

Arnold, thanks for all the informative links!!

Is it possible to acquire a firing gauge for my kiln sitter? Are firing gauges of different dimensions for different kilns, or are they of a standard shape for all Duncans (or all kiln sitters regardless of kiln manufacturer?)

Also, could you tell roughly how old my kiln is from its model and serial number?

You are very welcome! You can buy a Kiln Sitter firing gauge from a ceramic supplier. It is a common part and retails for $7.50. The Duncan Kiln Sitter firing gauge is the same size as the one for the Dawson Kiln Sitter. New kilns come with the gauge. People sometimes throw them away because they assume that the gauge is used only during shipping.

I don't know how old your kiln is. Duncan's first kilns were the DK series, which they started in 1977 or 1978. The DK kilns are simple and reliable. Duncan authorized Paragon to sell replacement parts, and most of the Duncan parts we sell are for the more complicated DA and EA series. I think you will enjoy your kiln.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Guest the smilin' potter

Arnold has been a great help to many in the past year or so, and often when the topic is NOT Paragon kilns. Thanks to Mr. Howard!

I willl have to consider a Paragon as my next kiln purchase.

Archived