Newbie Question Bisque

First, thank you for all the amazing information here.  I've spent all of my recent free time perusing every page.  I have absorbed an incredible amount of information that directly addresses things I've been stumped by and also answering questions that I didn't even realize I had.

For now, 2 questions regarding bisque firing:

I am using a small electric test kiln and doing various types of small items (pendants, ceramic light switches, garden art designs, etc.)

I'm confused whether I need to prop the lid open a bit during an initial hour or two of firing for vapor release?

What difference does it make whether I do a "fast" or "slow" firing?

Thank you : )

Welcome aboard!

As with most things in clay, these questions will get you a wide variety of answers ...

Yes, its a good idea to prop open the kiln lid on an unvented kiln to release vapor and fumes ... its good if you can, but not to panic if you cannot.

Heat and time are crucial elements of firing.  "Heatwork" is a combination of heat over time.

Fast firing gets you to a certain temperature quickly but firing more slowly gets you to the proper heatwork.

So if you are just running some bisque you need quickly it might be OK to just jam up the temp.

BUT ... if you are doing glaze firings or a series of tests, fast firing will not give you the best results.

Most likely glazes will be underfired and greenware pieces might not survive the shock.

Archived