Making test Glazes

I have made huge buckets of glazes while under my internship, however these were all tried and trusted glaze recipes so I did not have to make test samples.

I just recently downloaded DitgialFire Insight, and I am muddling through that (I suck so bad at math and chemistry), and I have searched with google high and low on how to break a recipe down to make only a test batch. Also since I am exposing myself as a bit daft.. how do you convert recipes from % to grams or milligrams.

Please could somebody help me :unsure: and if this has been a recent topic please forgive me I am just getting use to this site and not use to the search engine

Thank you in advance

Gem

Guest JBaymore

I have made huge buckets of glazes while under my internship, however these were all tried and trusted glaze recipes so I did not have to make test samples.

I just recently downloaded DitgialFire Insight, and I am muddling through that (I suck so bad at math and chemistry), and I have searched with google high and low on how to break a recipe down to make only a test batch. Also since I am exposing myself as a bit daft.. how do you convert recipes from % to grams or milligrams.

Please could somebody help me unsure.gif and if this has been a recent topic please forgive me I am just getting use to this site and not use to the search engine

Thank you in advance

Gem

Gem,

If you have an accurate triple beam balance to weigh out your ingredients, a 100 gram batch will give you the initial test. That is becasue the triple beam is accurate to plus or minus one tenth of a gram. One tenth of a gram on 100 grams is a good margin of accuracy unless you are using some very small additions of a particular material.

If you are using a digital scale, first check the accuracy figure. Some of them are pretty inaccurate. You want a batch size for the test such that the inaccuracy of the scale does not significantly impact the outcome. The bigger that plus ot minus figure... the bigger the minimum gram size you use.

In Insight, go up to the tabs at the top left side and then select "CALC"... then on the pull down that comes up select "Retotal Recipe". Put 100 in there and you have all the ingredients retotaled to add up to 100 grams. Which also can be looked at as a percentage recipe.

You can put any number in thre and make a batch of that size. Print out a "mix ticket" and you have a checklist for weighing out the matials in the lab.

Hope that helps.

best,

.............john

Archived