Cress Fx23P

Good Afternoon:

We are in the process of returning an older kiln to its former useful state for our school.  The Cress Company has been helpful, but they are closed today, and the process is slow with them being so far away from us.  I would like to ask any of you who wish to offer your insight for assistance with this issue.  I have replaced the bottom row and a few other bricks along with a new brick bottom.  New wires have been placed in and pinned back at the corners.  It was determined (by Cress) that the Firemate speed control motor was bad; so I replaced that, and after two or three attempts it did indeed automatically rotate the thumbwheel. 

The kiln was loaded for a bisque fire with an 05 cone in the kiln sitter.  The timer was set and the kiln sitter engaged.  I turned the speed control to off and moved the thumbwheel to "1".  Turned the speed control to "A" (normal) and pressed the button on the kiln sitter.  The thumbwheel advanced automatically when the motor cycled off and all seemed well.

Then the wheel stops at "8".  I can see the wires glowing orange inside.  After 10 hours the kiln shuts off via the timer not the kiln sitter.  The cone has not bent at all, but the pots look pink and have a ring when tapped, but still have a gray hue.

I read that cones never go bad so that is out.  Why so long to bisque?  The greenware has been drying since Christmas.

Ideas?  I am not a kiln person.  We would like to get the pots glazed before our seniors graduate.  You help is appreciated.

Thank you.

How long was the firing supposed to take? Did you just not have the timer up high enough? This speed control/thumbwheel system that Cress uses has always baffled me, and I have to relearn the system every time I work on one of those kilns....

I believe the manual said 51/2 to 6 hours for a bisque load. I can go up to 20 hours on the timer, but that just seems unrealistic.  I can give that a try though.  It makes me nervous leaving the kiln run when I'm not physically in the school building.

Thank you for responding.

6 hours is pretty quick for a bisque. Most folks bisque in the 9-11 hour range. The first time you fire, you'll need to set the timer longer than need and be there to ensure it shuts off. Then you'll know how long it takes, and can set the timer accordingly from then on. However even then you should always be there to make sure it shuts off. It's the only way to be 100% safe.

Hi, I've repaired two of these kilns at my shop. The issue of the wheel stopping at 8 Is likely due to someone having rotated it the wrong direction and bending a gear tooth. To test this, move the wheel slightly past 8 to about 8.5 or so and come back to see if it's made more progress or not after 30 - 40 minutes. The motor that powers this wheel is about $50 retail cost and about a 10-15 minute install.

I will give that a try.  Thank you.

Cress had me put bathroom tissue on the elements to see if they would burn.  The top and bottom elements were not working, so they are sending a new relay switch.  Hopefully that is my problem, but you may be right about the gear teeth.

TW

Archived