I am setting up my own studio with an electric kiln and I'm looking at different venting systems. The most common is the down draft variety, but I am interested in feedback regarding a canopy hood.

I have looked at round Vent-A-Kiln canopy hoods that pull down closely over the kiln when firing and raise up out of the way when not in use. They have the claims of being more efficient at eliminating fumes and heat. They overhang the edges of the kiln by 4-6" and come in either 265 CFM of 500 CFM.

Does anyone out there use this system or have comment on the pros or cons of this system versus the downdraft system?

If you need to vent heat, then an overhead hood is one way to go. Another is to have a vent fan in the ceiling or wall. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Vent-a-Hood products because they tend to get in the way, even with the swing arm. Downdraft vents are best for venting fumes, because the fumes are pulled directly from the kiln and never enter the room. With a hood, the fumes first come out of the kiln and are then drawn into the hood, so not everything is caught unless it's a very powerful hood. Downdraft vents also help to even out temperature in the kiln a little bit, and bring fresh air into the kiln which glazes tend to appreciate.

Archived