Today I had a cone 6 firing. When the kiln reached temp and shut off, I decided I wanted to do a controlled cool. I did a ramp/hold schedule (Skutt 1027) of 500F/h to 1900 no hold, and then 150F/h to 1400. When I pressed "start," it thought the firing was complete (because we were already passed 1900, at 2230ish). Does anyone know a way to program a slow cool after you've already reached top temp?

Skutt 1027

If it's a newer model I believe there's a way to piggyback a Ramp/Hold cooling schedule onto a Cone Fire. It's easy to do on a standard Bartlett V6CF, but the Skutt version of the controller is different so I can't give you specifics. See if you can find it in your manual. Otherwise, you have to do the entire up and down as a Ramp/Hold.

Reason I like Orton controllers better than Bartlett: can add or remove programs any point from the current segment forward. I can change the current program segment while it is firing. Can change temps, rate climbs, hold times, or cool rates as well. Also thought Orton was much more flexible and user friendly than Bartlett.

Nerd

on all my Skutts, I think I've found the actual temp has to be lower than the start temp in order to modify the firing like this.  I do this often when extending a pre-firing hold on a kiln, have to let it drop well below the start temp in order to have computer "like" what I am trying to do.

Archived