Wax Resist

I'm creating a tile plaque of The Prayer for Peace. I am trying to use wax resist for the words and some other small decorations. I put the wax resist in the areas I wanted and then covered the tiles in Mayco Foundations white. The glaze has covered over the wax. I did 3 layers of wax and the glaze is still covering the wax. Has anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions on what I can do?

Thank you!

Guest HerbNorris

This topic has come up before; if I remember correctly, it was emphasized that, if you are using a water-based wax resist, you must let the wax dry thoroughly before glazing. I think someone (Marcia?) said twenty-four hours was a good time to wait.

I know someone here knows, there are great people here!

This topic has come up before; if I remember correctly, it was emphasized that, if you are using a water-based wax resist, you must let the wax dry thoroughly before glazing. I think someone (Marcia?) said twenty-four hours was a good time to wait.

I know someone here knows, there are great people here!

Thank you Herb! I'll give it a full 24 hours than.

I now use a product called Dorland's Wax Medium (encaustic medium) which I thin to a brushable consistency with odorless mineral spirits. I find I have much more control than I have with any water based wax. I put on two to three coats and let them dry. It keeps my colors from smearing as I am working on other areas and I can pick up any spots or overlaps with a disposable make-up sponge or (for tiny areas) a disposable eye shadow applicator.

I let the wax dry for 24 hours and then painted the tiles with glaze. The glaze just went right over the wax. Only a few places actually resisted the glaze. It's brand new wax and glaze. The wax details are fine though. Maybe I need to use another wax?

I let the wax dry for 24 hours and then painted the tiles with glaze. The glaze just went right over the wax. Only a few places actually resisted the glaze. It's brand new wax and glaze. The wax details are fine though. Maybe I need to use another wax?

After the wax has dried, after you apply the glaze, take a damp paper towel or damp sponge and wipe off the excess glaze on the waxed areas, the wax should still remain. Be careful not to remove the glaze that you want to remain on the pot. If you do remove any glaze just have a small touch up brush ready. I hope this method helps.

After the wax has dried, after you apply the glaze, take a damp paper towel or damp sponge and wipe off the excess glaze on the waxed areas, the wax should still remain. Be careful not to remove the glaze that you want to remain on the pot. If you do remove any glaze just have a small touch up brush ready. I hope this method helps.

Thanks, I did try that. Some of the details are so small though that this is very time consuming. Because this is a bigger piece I think I'm going to try and figure out another way. I hope something else works.

Archived