Loading The Kiln

My old gas kiln had to be stuffed completely full in order to get it to fire decently.

I now have an electric kiln. I have it mostly loaded now with pieces but don't have quite enough to stuff it. This is the second firing of glazed pieces and more tests from the first glaze firing.

How full does an electric kiln need to be?

B

I successfully fire my kiln with various size loads ... sometimes you just have to fire it because you need the pieces even though it is not full.

When I fire it less than full I try to concentrate the work in the center of the kiln ... by that I mean avoiding the very bottom or the topmost.

I also spread the pieces out and use high posts so the heat circulates evenly.

I successfully fire my kiln with various size loads ... sometimes you just have to fire it because you need the pieces even though it is not full.

When I fire it less than full I try to concentrate the work in the center of the kiln ... by that I mean avoiding the very bottom or the topmost.

I also spread the pieces out and use high posts so the heat circulates evenly.

Thank you Chris! Your advice helps. I am basically a "try it and see" potter but right now I am kind of afraid to do that.

It seems like it is full enough...

B

My old gas kiln had to be stuffed completely full in order to get it to fire decently.

I now have an electric kiln. I have it mostly loaded now with pieces but don't have quite enough to stuff it. This is the second firing of glazed pieces and more tests from the first glaze firing.

How full does an electric kiln need to be?

B

Portland Oregon? You are in Skutt'land'!! How nice.

'Stuff' a glaze firing?

I recommend Skutt's video on how to load a kiln.http://www.skutt.com/video/4_d.loading.html

That is a nice film put out by Skutt. Does anyone know if there are films dealing with gas kilns?

Riorose,

If you go to You Tube and search for 'how to fire a gas kiln' you will get some videos 'about' firing a gas kiln. But the best videos I've seen so far are by Simon Leach he shows more than the others. He shows how he built his kiln, how it will fire, shows it firing and he shows the pots after it has cooled. Unfortunately, the videos are shown in parts so you have to pay attention to which ones you are watching. But they are informative.

Archived