David Henry's Hand Extruder

I 'made' David Henry's Hand Extruder this week. This was so simple; it was made before I left Home Depot. I picked up the caulking gun. Then I went to get the pipe. They sell the pipe in 2 foot sections. They cut the pipe to my requested 8" section measurements. I got 4 test caps. The tool department made me some starter holes in the center so that I could carve the shapes that I wanted in the test caps. All for $6.26 tax included! I found that I didn't even need to widen the caulking gun opening. Wow! Thank you CAD. And thank you very much David.

(I am now a little hooked on carving shapes in the test caps).

By the way, 'test caps' are used in the construction industry to seal off the ends of plumbing pipes that need to sit around outside waiting to be used. The pipes are capped so that little creatures and debris can't enter.

Here's the link-

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/...extruders/video-tip-of-the-week-make-your-own-hand%20-held-clay-extruder/

I 'made' David Henry's Hand Extruder this week. This was so simple; it was made before I left Home Depot. I picked up the caulking gun. Then I went to get the pipe. They sell the pipe in 2 foot sections. They cut the pipe to my requested 8" section measurements. I got 4 test caps. The tool department made me some starter holes in the center so that I could carve the shapes that I wanted in the test caps. All for $6.26 tax included! I found that I didn't even need to widen the caulking gun opening. Wow! Thank you CAD. And thank you very much David.

By the way, 'test caps' are used in the construction industry to seal off the ends of plumbing pipes that need to sit around outside waiting to be used. The pipes are capped so that little creatures and debris can't enter.

Here's the link-

http://ceramicartsda...-clay-extruder/

Lucille thanks for sending that link, I think I'll just build me a smaller extruder, I built my larger one from an article in Ceramics Monthly probably 15 years ago. I thought I would mention that they sell a larger caulking gun for contractors, you can get larger pipe for it and matching test caps. I don't know how much hand strength it would take of pump it, if anyone builds a larger caulking gun extruder let us know how it works. Denice

Here's the link-

http://ceramicartsda...-clay-extruder/

Lucille thanks for sending that link, I think I'll just build me a smaller extruder, I built my larger one from an article in Ceramics Monthly probably 15 years ago. I thought I would mention that they sell a larger caulking gun for contractors, you can get larger pipe for it and matching test caps. I don't know how much hand strength it would take of pump it, if anyone builds a larger caulking gun extruder let us know how it works. Denice

I bought the larger caulking gun for my extruder. Home Depot did not have any testing caps, and didn’t have any idea what I was asking for but I was able to find them at Lowes. My son found a small caulking gun and brought it home for me to use so I just need to get the pipe now. I still have to sit and cut out the test caps but am excited to get it started. I’m happy to hear that it works well and now I want to get going on finishing up the little project.

David Henry also has a video with a diagram for another handy little tool to help with the spot of pitchers. Here’s the link.

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/pottery-making-techniques/wheel-throwing-techniques/an-unconventional-method-for-throwing-a-pitcher-on-the-pottery-wheel/

I made one a year or so ago and have made about 8 extrusion shapes so far. I have three pipes....one for each of the clay bodies I use. I also took 3 end caps and ground off the outer 'flange' so that it would fit into the back end of the pipe where the plunger goes. The plunger fits into this cap and pushes against the clay..... it keeps the clay from squirting out around the plunger.....quicker cleanup. I found a very small set of 5 files at Northern Tool.....after I cut out the basic shape in the extrusion cap with my Dremel tool, I fine tune it with the files. The files were really inexpensive too. I don't use it often, but when I need it, it is handy to have on hand.

Archived