Share Your Experiences With Mason Stains @ Cone 10 Reduction?

(please note - I don't know how to create a table for the info below - HTML, tabs, or spaces don't work. Any help??)

Right now, my only option is Cone 10 reduction firing. I want to use colored slips and colored porcelain clay in my work, and have tested several colors of mason stains, with varying and mostly disappointing results. After countless emails with Mason techs, they finally admitted that they have no idea of how their stains work with Cone 10 reduction, because they have never tested this themselves!

This would be the perfect forum for compiling and sharing our own testing/experiments/successes/failures with Mason and other stains specifically for cone 10 reduction. My proposal for submittals: include the clay type, stain brand(s), ratios of dry stain to dry clay and/or other dry ingredients, details of firing (hot cone 10? long or slow soak? anything you can provide) and, of course, a good quality picture of the test samples.

Here is my less-than-scholarly opening offer: (sorry - pix to be uploaded when I fetch my test tiles on Monday...)

All tests with Dave's Porcelain, medium ^10 reduction, Mason stains (% is stain-to-clay ratio

No. Stain # _ % Results/Comments

1 6236 5 Poor - should be chartreuse

2 6374 5 fair - should be turquoise, not just blue

3 6364 5 poor - should be turquoise

4 6024 3 poor - should be orange

5 6027 3 poor - should be tangerine

6 6088 3 poor - should be red

7 6211 3 poor - should be pea green

8 6315 5 fair

9 6315 20 fair/good

10 K5593 20 fair/poor - trying for orange

11 6600 50 Good - would be better if the black was richer and denser

The following are mix tests, Dave's Porcelain, medium ^10 reduction, Mason stains

No. parts results/comments

12 clay 200 poor - trying again for that elusive chartreuse

6315 30

6410 120

13 clay 100 Fair - trying to achieve a nice olive green but finally gave up. Green generally doesn't seem to withstand ^10 reduction

K5593 12

6434 6

6315 11

6600 4

6410 13.8<br style="">

• 2 years later...

Archived