Decorative Cut Work On Thrown Work

Trying to get some clean lines on delicate cut work without having to do so much clean up of the areas once the cutting is complete and the piece is dried ready to fire. These are thrown pieces with even thickness of approxiamtely 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Thrown with Moon White High Water clay. Fairly smooth with little sand and grog. Surface has been burnished while on wheel.

Also, when glazing, how do you achieve coverage of these cut surfaces without the tediuous hand work of painting each area with a brush. Air brushing the piece just does not reach these cutout areas with causes runs on the surface. Have thought about a ballon inside, inflated to act as an interior surface, but not sure if it will work.

Suggestions on best tool and or methods to reach this end results?

I'm not sure how to put this but when I'm going to make a piece with fine delicate carvings on it I know it will probably be tedious at some point. I have a set of small fine sharp tool that I use at the edge and then cut out the rest with a larger tool. You just need to experiment with different tools and see what works for you. I think brushing the glaze is the only way you can be positive that the glaze is down into deep cuts. One method I have always wanted to try was sandblasting after it is bisqued, you can buy a small sandblasting cabinet for 100.00. I don't have the studio space for it and haven't talked my husband out of any of his garage space. Sometimes I will go off in a different direction with my work (something fun) when the area I have been working in seems tedious, it is usually a short sabbatical but it refreshes my perspective. Denice (Wichita, KS)

The sharpest tools I have found are made by Phil at Bison tools.

http://www.bisonstudios.com/

They are super sharp and stay that way ... More expensive to buy but they are great.

As to the time it takes to clean and glaze ... Sometimes it just takes as long as it takes!

Fussy, pain in the neck detail is what makes the pieces beautiful hand crafted art.

Archived