Piecework Pricing?

I would like to get a feel for what folks get for doing piecework for another potter. I am not in a position to start a whole line to market, but I have strong throwing skills. I am thinking about throwing a bunch of mugs for someone. She would like me to bisque the mugs as well. Is there a formula to figure out what to charge per piece?

I don't know of a specific formula for this. I would think that it is up to the hirer to tell you how much she can pay you per mug, based on what works within her profit margin. If it were me hiring a production potter, that's how I would do it.

If she is asking you to calculate your price, then I would ask her directly "what works for you within your profit margin?" If she doesn't want to discuss that (her right), I'm afraid the answer is "charge what you feel comfortable charging."

Sorry to be vague, everything about pricing pottery is vague, it's part of the job.

Mea

• 2 months later...

I don't know of a specific formula for this. I would think that it is up to the hirer to tell you how much she can pay you per mug, based on what works within her profit margin. If it were me hiring a production potter, that's how I would do it.

If she is asking you to calculate your price, then I would ask her directly "what works for you within your profit margin?" If she doesn't want to discuss that (her right), I'm afraid the answer is "charge what you feel comfortable charging."

Sorry to be vague, everything about pricing pottery is vague, it's part of the job.

Mea

thanks for the advice, I wound up meeting with the artist and used the negotiating technique of letting them name the price first. Their amount was higher than what I thought. all is well, and I am happily creating mugs for her. I did use the "WHat works in your profit margin?" line, and it was right on.

• 3 weeks later...

If it was me, I would take the price of the clay, say $8 for 25lb divided by the amount of clay per mug, say 1.5 lbs. Thats .48 plus firing, depending on kiln size etc. I would double your clay cost ( no formula, just a guesstimate) Then your time... What is your time worth, how long does it take to make your mug. Include making, trimming and adding your handle. If your time is worth $20/hour and you make 6 mugs in an hour than your time cost is around $3 per mug. If you sell your mug for $4.50 you will cover your "costs". Thats what I would do.

Archived