Purchasing A Used Kiln

I am shopping for a test kiln and came across a used Paragon SC2 (with viewing window and a SENTRY XPRESS 4.0 Digital Temperature Controller, inside dimensions: 5.75" H X 7.75"D X 8.00"W, max temp 2000) on the internet. The seller said she had used it on and off for a year. Has anyone had any experience with this kiln? My main concern is if it's a used kiln, aren't the elements fragile and would they withstand shipping? Thanks for your help.

I am shopping for a test kiln and came across a used Paragon SC2

The SC-2 is a ceramic fiber silver clay jewelry kiln. Do you need a ceramic test kiln? The SC-2 will fire ceramics. However, if I had a choice, I would get a firebrick test kiln instead of ceramic fiber.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

I am shopping for a test kiln and came across a used Paragon SC2

The SC-2 is a ceramic fiber silver clay jewelry kiln. Do you need a ceramic test kiln? The SC-2 will fire ceramics. However, if I had a choice, I would get a firebrick test kiln instead of ceramic fiber.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Arnold.....Thank you! I do want a test kiln to fire ceramics. You have saved me from spending my limited funds on the wrong piece of equipment! It is really confusing. I want a kiln that I can fire test tiles and also a small single piece, if needed. Which kiln would you suggest? I'd like to keep my costs around $600 if that's possible.

I want a kiln that I can fire test tiles and also a small single piece, if needed. Which kiln would you suggest? I'd like to keep my costs around $600 if that's possible.

The 8" x 8" x 4.5" firebrick Paragon FireFly is rated to 2350F on 120 volts. It comes in manual and digital versions. That would be my choice.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

I want a kiln that I can fire test tiles and also a small single piece, if needed. Which kiln would you suggest? I'd like to keep my costs around $600 if that's possible.

The 8" x 8" x 4.5" firebrick Paragon FireFly is rated to 2350F on 120 volts. It comes in manual and digital versions. That would be my choice.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Thank you Arnold! I will check it out. I really appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Thank you Arnold! I will check it out. I really appreciate your help.

Arnold.....I am looking at the digital version of the Firefly. One option is a window in the door. How reliable is the window to remain clear over the years? Does the window cause a 'cold spot' in the kiln? I wouldn't get the window for just test firing, but am thinking I might do some PMC down the road. Would it be important to have the window then?....or just if I do glass work, which I'm not planning on doing.

I think 2000 degrees is low temperature for a test kiln unless you are only doing earthenware.

Just make sure the kiln meets your needs. You should explain your expectations and then ask advice.

That would assist in getting the help you need.

Marcia

You are right Marcia.....we should give as much information as possible when we pose a question to the forum. I'll remember that next time. Thanks.

I am looking at the digital version of the Firefly. One option is a window in the door. How reliable is the window to remain clear over the years? Does the window cause a 'cold spot' in the kiln? I wouldn't get the window for just test firing, but am thinking I might do some PMC down the road. Would it be important to have the window then?....or just if I do glass work, which I'm not planning on doing.

Yes, the window can become hazy, but I haven't heard of this happening, so it must be rare. The window may lower the maximum temperature of the kiln because of the heat loss through the lid. The window is used mainly for glass fusing. I have used it to check witness cones, too. It is difficult to see the cones, though, when looking down into the kiln.

I tested the glass window and wrote an article about it:

http://www.paragonwe...ter.cfm?PID=327

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

I am looking at the digital version of the Firefly. One option is a window in the door. How reliable is the window to remain clear over the years? Does the window cause a 'cold spot' in the kiln? I wouldn't get the window for just test firing, but am thinking I might do some PMC down the road. Would it be important to have the window then?....or just if I do glass work, which I'm not planning on doing.

Yes, the window can become hazy, but I haven't heard of this happening, so it must be rare. The window may lower the maximum temperature of the kiln because of the heat loss through the lid. The window is used mainly for glass fusing. I have used it to check witness cones, too. It is difficult to see the cones, though, when looking down into the kiln.

I tested the glass window and wrote an article about it:

http://www.paragonwe...ter.cfm?PID=327

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

That's an interesting article....thanks. I think I'll go with the solid lid since I don't plan to do glass slumping.

Archived