Hakeme Slip Recipe

Babs

Babs,

The "recipe" for Hakeme slips I have from being in Japan and Korea (south) are basically anything from 100% of a specific kaolin-type clay....... to about 80% of a specific kaolin-type clay and 20% of a feldspathic type rock.  Not much more than that.

One aspect of the success of this is the really coarse nature of the clay bodys UNDER the slip.... very unlike our dense fine particled highly plastic western clay bodies.

But the real key is the BRUSH used.

Put many of those slips on with a fine nice quality bruish... and they flake right off the body as it drys.  The key is that the coarse rough brush causes impressions into the underlying clay body... that makes the two different wet to dry shrinkage materials stay together.

My best Hakeme brush I made while working in Japan with the bristles from an old used natural fiber broom, some string to bind them, and a piece of rope to bind over the string to make more of a gripping handle.

The clay underneath the slip has to be wet enough that the stiff bristles dig into it a little.  Then it has to be applied in a fast direct move.  No "redos".

best,

......................john

Thanks, John.  Can you elaborate on "specific type of kaolin?"

Guest JBaymore

Babs,

The "recipe" for Hakeme slips I have from being in Japan and Korea (south) are basically anything from 100% of a specific kaolin-type clay....... to about 80% of a specific kaolin-type clay and 20% of a feldspathic type rock.  Not much more than that.

One aspect of the success of this is the really coarse nature of the clay bodys UNDER the slip.... very unlike our dense fine particled highly plastic western clay bodies.

But the real key is the BRUSH used.

Put many of those slips on with a fine nice quality bruish... and they flake right off the body as it drys.  The key is that the coarse rough brush causes impressions into the underlying clay body... that makes the two different wet to dry shrinkage materials stay together.

My best Hakeme brush I made while working in Japan with the bristles from an old used natural fiber broom, some string to bind them, and a piece of rope to bind over the string to make more of a gripping handle.

The clay underneath the slip has to be wet enough that the stiff bristles dig into it a little.  Then it has to be applied in a fast direct move.  No "redos".

best,

......................john

Thanks, John.  Can you elaborate on "specific type of kaolin?"

That just means the kaolin type clay from "Location A".  Typically the physically closest source to the potter in question.  Nothing "cosmic" here.  Most potters in Japan and Korea use the materials that are pretty local to them.  The US "supermarket society" approach to worldwide ceramic raw materials is a luxury.

best,

....................john

aaah john i had no idea the texture of the clay below mattered. no wonder i wasn't getting the texture i wanted.

i also played with the thickness of slip. i am still trying to figure that out.

Archived