Slipcasting Body Part

Hello, 

My question is that i would like to slip cast a body part. For example my finger. 

Now how do i make a very sharp slip cast mold of my finger?

I think it is ok to have a two piece mold for this. 

The most sharp to get my finger is when i make a impression in Alginate. Do you recommend me to make a wax cast of my finger to create a slip cast mold from it?

Or could i also create a plaster cast of my finger from which i create a plaster mold again? Am afraid with this, that it could loose it's finger prints. But maybe i could oil or soap the plaster? 

What would you recommend me? 

Thank you very much for the help!

Alginate is a good option, though if you have the funds, casting a 1 part rubber negative would be another strong option (Smooth-On and the other suppliers all have body-cast specific rubbers, but they're not cheap). Either way, get to a wax, and make your two part plaster mold.

Be aware that slip casting the mold will incur some degradation, whereas lost wax casting of glass for example uses a 1 time use mold that steams the wax out, giving the best transfer of fine detail.

The question should be asked, why do you need such detail, and how many multiples do you need?

**use as little mold release as possible if you're interested in not distorting the surface information, and make sure you prep your plaster properly. A good mix makes all the difference in both detail and longevity of the mold.

Archived