• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fezzik

Fezzik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

Hello everyone.  I just purchased a studio from the widow of a long time potter.  Part of the package was a large amount of a number of kinds of clay that I am not familiar with and was hoping that someone here had some experience with or knew about.  Several hundred pounds of it is Great Lakes Clay MCL 343 as well as a few hundred pounds of DOM Porcelain and a few hundred pounds of Dave's Porcelain from Laguna WC384.  I also have Amaco #25.  Again, just looking to see if anyone has used any of this or knows someone who has and can give me an idea of what I am looking at. 

#2 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

If you go to the manufacturer's web sites you'll find lots of information on all of those clay bodies- firing temp, color, texture, etc.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#3 schmism

schmism

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationPeoria IL

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:28 AM

hmmm from GLC website on the MCL 343

Ontario White 5
Cone 5-7. Same base clay body as our Michigan White 5, but with 48 mesh mullite added for larger pieces. Still very plastic, responsive and tight. The mullite produces a speckling effect.

Bisque 08-04.  

So for us beginners, just what exactly  does that mean?   

IS that a stoneware?  a porcelain, an earthenware?  Im assuming that's a white clay body....  what does 48 mesh mullite mean?  is that like grog? 

#4 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

hmmm from GLC website on the MCL 343

Ontario White 5
Cone 5-7. Same base clay body as our Michigan White 5, but with 48 mesh mullite added for larger pieces. Still very plastic, responsive and tight. The mullite produces a speckling effect.

Bisque 08-04.  

So for us beginners, just what exactly  does that mean?   

IS that a stoneware?  a porcelain, an earthenware?  Im assuming that's a white clay body....  what does 48 mesh mullite mean?  is that like grog? 

Yes, the mullite will function as grog. Sounds like it's a cone 6 white stoneware. They've taken one of their smooth white bodies and added mullite to it to make it more forgiving.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users