Faux Celedon ^6 Formula

Darcy Kane

Main Ingredients: spacer2.gifFerro Frit 3195: 70.00 Grams spacer2.gifEPK Kaolin: 8.00 Grams spacer2.gifWollastonite: 10.00 Grams spacer2.gifSilica 200 Mesh: 12.00 Grams   Total: 100.00 Grams Add: spacer2.gifEpsom Salt: 0.25 % spacer2.gifBentonite (325 Mesh): 2.00 % spacer2.gifCopper Carbonate: 0.10 % spacer2.gifMason Stain # 6201 Celadon: 0.50 %

I thought that before I mixed up a  batch of this I would see if anyone else had ever given it a try.  I am just switching from ^10 to ^6 and am not looking forward to the trial and error phase again.  What am I looking for here, some input from anyone that may have tried this formula or one close to it.  Did it stay where you put it?  How did you apply it? and what clay body did you try it over?  BTW yes, I am also nudging around with ^6 clay bodies and trying to enjoy the journey :)

Ferro Frit 3195 is a complete glaze at Cone 6.  Being ground glass it needs to be mixed with a gel or clay to adhere to bisque.

The 10% Kaolin supplies this suspension and hardening, while the Wollastonite and Silica complete the Kaolin as a glaze.  These materials are refractory  and will participate in a glaze at cone 6 only because the Ferro Frit 3195 will already be quite liquid. Without these refractory materials3195 by itself will be far too liquid.

The Mason stain and copper carbonate color the mix to someone's idea of what Celadon should look like.

Main Ingredients: spacer2.gifFerro Frit 3195: 70.00 Grams spacer2.gifEPK Kaolin: 8.00 Grams spacer2.gifWollastonite: 10.00 Grams spacer2.gifSilica 200 Mesh: 12.00 Grams   Total: 100.00 Grams Add: spacer2.gifEpsom Salt: 0.25 % spacer2.gifBentonite (325 Mesh): 2.00 % spacer2.gifCopper Carbonate: 0.10 % spacer2.gifMason Stain # 6201 Celadon: 0.50 %

I thought that before I mixed up a  batch of this I would see if anyone else had ever given it a try.  I am just switching from ^10 to ^6 and am not looking forward to the trial and error phase again.  What am I looking for here, some input from anyone that may have tried this formula or one close to it.  Did it stay where you put it?  How did you apply it? and what clay body did you try it over?  BTW yes, I am also nudging around with ^6 clay bodies and trying to enjoy the journey :)

Archived