• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 samnus

samnus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:19 AM

How would you open clay for a large pot in comparison to opening clay for  a much smaller pot?

#2 AnnaM

AnnaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

If you have a large amount of clay and it's proving hard to open using your fingers, you can use the right side of the heel of your right hand. Remember to keep your hands joined and use your left hand for stability so you don't push the wall out unevenly. Once you have got it open a bit you can then use your fingers for the rest.

#3 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 3,062 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

How much clay are you talking about (pounds or kilos)?

best,

..............john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#4 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

As John says, how much clay? I would also ask what type of piece? If you throw much, you know that bowls open differently from cylinders, and plates are different also.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#5 samnus

samnus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

small pot = 2 lbs and large pot = 10 lbs

#6 samnus

samnus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

sorry for being so unclear...for cylinders, tall pots. How different for a bowl?

#7 AnnaM

AnnaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=eh37PjpKpxY

These instructional videos are really helpful and there are hundreds of them!!

#8 Kohaku

Kohaku

Huffing cobalt over a Raku kiln

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

Samnus- I've found that the 'rules' (conventional ways to open particular shapes in this case) are only useful to a point. You could probably look at a series of successful potters opening a form like a cylinder, and there would be differences all down the line.

For me, the key thing with any form is to throw it repeatedly, experimenting with different hand positions and opening strategies. You'll find a sweet spot that works well for you, allowing for consistency.

Not all who wander are lost

#9 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

As the above poster, Kohaku, says it depends on what works for you. As I have stated in other posts, sometimes I open with a thumb, or a middle finger, or two fingers braced together-these when throwing smaller cylinders to larger ones. When working over 15# I often open with my fist, or hand held like a spoon. Bowls are different as I like rounded bottoms inside of my bowls, so I open with either the edge of my fist leading with the hand knuckle of little finger. Larger bowls 8# or more I open with my elbow. Whatever works, works. I used to know a girl who had no rt hand, opened with the stump, pulled with the stump.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#10 samnus

samnus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the reminder about YouTube...when I start watching these I find myself spending hours and hours...they're addicting ;o) I can see where there are many different ways...but like you say, you have to find what works best for you...so I will give it a try and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users