Photo
- - - - -

How Big Is Your Wheel?

distance from center of wheel if there is one?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 yedrow

yedrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

Marcia, I just did that, heh. First I put a brick under the legs then I went down to some boards that are about 1.5 inches thick. It seems to be better. I guess whining about it wasn't working as well as I had hoped.

Joel.

#22 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,462 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

The ST-1 "saddle" is the best commercial seat availabe on the market for helping to prevent reprtitive stress injuries to the back.  It is greatly adjustable... and you can also modify it yourself to fit your own needs.  It allows the pelvis structure to tip toward the wheel, thereby helping you to maintain the curvature in the lower spine instead of rounding the lower back off and stressing the lumbar area disks so much.

Note that many old wood frame kick wheels with built with a forward tilted seat.  There was a reason.

Nothing is perfect in preventing repetitive stress problems (except not doing such repetitive things).......... so every little bit helps.

best,

.......................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#23 Chantay

Chantay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

The Brents where I take a class have a large pan that I don't like.  My class boss at home has a smaller pan so I can get closer to the wheel head.  I throw much better on the clay boss.  When I am at class I use a special batt I made.  It is two batts that have been glued together.  This small extra height seems to make a huge difference.  You could try this, very cheap.

- chantay

#24 yedrow

yedrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

I'm a firm believer that one's legs should be parallel with the plane of the wheel head and the seat should be tilted about 10ยบ. I use a converted saddle stool at work (round seat instead of saddle). It is very comfortable to work on.

Joel.

#25 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

If your back hurts, no chair will fix it. Get professional help. Period.
I had back problems from lifting heavy stuff. I was seriously hurting. I went to see a highly recommended chiropractor. Only 2 visits and then, few months later, a third one for a check-up. Adios back pain. Seriously.
I am not overweight and have no gut hanging over me belt. If you have those problems too, just stop stuffing your face with all that junk. Seriously (again).

#26 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

Excuse me? Did I give the impression that I had weight or self control problems?
I have a strained muscle in my hip, not my mouth.
Seriously.

#27 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

Excuse me? Did I give the impression that I had weight or self control problems?
I have a strained muscle in my hip, not my mouth.
Seriously.

I guess you missed the word "if" or...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users