Kiln Rehab

Ok, Ive probably bitten off more than I can chew, but hey that's what keeps life interesting. I just brought home a kiln I purchased off of one of those "sell your stuff" sights. I don't know if we can name names so I wont. It a large commercially built updraft kiln. For a 25+ year old kiln it is great shape. 19 burners and 48 cuft of stacking space. There are a few cracks here and there but nothing that shows daylight. The hardware and firing system is all intact and working. I had to drive about 8 hrs to get it with a truck and flat bed. I built a box inside to give support during transport and it worked well.

So here is the problem. A couple of bricks fractured around the damper system on top and there is a thick coating on top of the kiln that is cracked and missing sizable chunks. I have the bricks to repair the damage but I don't know what cement is best. I assume the thick mud-like coating on top is for additional installation. What is the best/easiest replacement for this. If I had to guess, I may be able to recycle the stuff that's left. I have mixers and tools so I don't need to use a ready mix.

Last but not least. It came with no furniture. Has anyone tried the hollow core shelves? I will be firing to ^6 reduction.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Paul

sounds wonderful!!!

your local ceramic supplier should have kiln cement - great stuff. I'd take off anything that comes off and redo roof.

if you need additional insulation fiberfrax blanket works but you need the weight of the cement and bricks if your going for ^ 9- remember the whole kiln expands so all wallsand roof need to be consistant . have a great time!

Archived