Craft Show Displays

I've just returned to craft shows after a ten year hiatus. My first show will be in November, and I'm getting concerned about my old display. It really doesn't fit the new work. I've spent some time online looking for sources for backdrops and pedestals, etc., but nearly everything I've found is for the trade show business -- flashy photo backdrops, etc. Can someone recommend a site that sells portable walls and pedestals for the art/craft show business? Thanks, Jayne

Guest JBaymore

My show booth I designed in a CAD program and then had a local fine woodworker/cabinetmaker construct. It was lightweight wood and aluminum panels that connected together with aluminum interfaces for strength and longevity, with overhead track lighting. The shelving is commercial units from Abstracta. All told, it cost about $3500 about 10 years ago. It was for what you might call "serious" shows, not more local shows.

I too have not seen much in the way of "commecial" booth products for what potter's typically do.

best,

...............john

My show booth I designed in a CAD program and then had a local fine woodworker/cabinetmaker construct. It was lightweight wood and aluminum panels that connected together with aluminum interfaces for strength and longevity, with overhead track lighting. The shelving is commercial units from Abstracta. All told, it cost about $3500 about 10 years ago. It was for what you might call "serious" shows, not more local shows.

I too have not seen much in the way of "commecial" booth products for what potter's typically do.

best,

...............john

Thanks, Mea and John. I remember the carpeted Pro Panels from my earlier show days; they're gorgeous. Back when I was doing shows, I chose to purchase similar panels that were a white vinyl mesh that was better suited to withstand outdoor shows. Durable, yes, but not nearly as attractive as the carpeted panels. I'd love to see John's booth, but doubt I could rustle up a deluxe custom booth in the next two months! :-] I guess I'll have to decide if I'm going to be doing enough shows in the future to justify a $2000 purchase of panels and pedestals from Pro Panels! But seeing their website gave me an idea: it just occurred to me that perhaps I could purchase fabric and make "slipcovers" for those old mesh panels. Hmmmm. Now to find a cheap source for heavy fabric... Thanks again!

I think the "slipcovers" are an excellent idea. Not only will your display look new, it won't look exactly like all of the Pro Panel booths.

It's tricky to buy fabrics online without seeing them in person, but if you are looking for something basic you might be able to do it. This is my favorite bulk/cheap fabric source:

http://www.discountfabricsusacorp.com/

-Mea

• 4 weeks later...

I have been working with a wonderful woodworker for portable, lightweight displays. She is very accommodating with my ideas and changes. She created a number of pedestals, risers, and a grid wall piece to spotlight mugs and under 6x6 pieces. Here is a link to her shop on etsy. She delivered because I am close by, but her work is lightweight, so shipping should be reasonable. She is also excellent with deadlines.Kathy Bogg's Etsy Shop for Show Displays Feel free to contact her for a custom collection and modifications to her line. I think you will be very pleased. Good luck!

Archived