1 reply to this topic

#1 Pots4myPlants

Pots4myPlants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

Hello!

I was given a box of random tools, and one interesting item in it was a crucible like the one in the attached picture. I learned through web searches that jewelers use it to melt precious metals, but I was wondering if it had any sort of use in ceramic work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

Hello!

I was given a box of random tools, and one interesting item in it was a crucible like the one in the attached picture. I learned through web searches that jewelers use it to melt precious metals, but I was wondering if it had any sort of use in ceramic work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Only thing I can think of at this point is for preparing small amounts of glaze materials for grinding. I used to use these often for metals when I was in Jewelery classes, and later when I taught. The are ceramic, and are pretty dense. I don't know if glaze materials will adhere to them, but if not fired to melting shouldn"t.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users