How to add an avatar to your profile

For those of you who have not added an avatar because you are unsure how:

Step 1: Choose an image to be your avatar. It can be a photo of yourself, but it doesn't have to be. You can also use a photo of your work, or a graphic of some kind. There are many ways to represent yourself visually. Be creative! (Last time I joined an online group that required a photo of myself, I got stalked. Never doing that again. Not required here!)

Step 2: If you can (not required) crop the image into a square, just to make the best use of the square shape of the avatar. Resize the file so it is under 150kb in size. Even though the instructions on the screen ask for 50kb or 100kb images, I found that images up to 150kb still work. The software can downsample from there. Save the image in .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, or .png format. Save the image onto your computer where you can find it. If you need help with this step, that tutorial will be too long to post here. You can find instructions for this by googling. Or just ask a tech-savvy person to do it for you.

Step 3: Click on your username in the upper right corner of the forum site. From the drop down list, click My Settings.

Step 4: Underneath the words Your Options, you'll see four tabs: Settings, Forums, Profile, and Gallery. Click on Profile.

Step 5: Now, on the left side if the sceeen you'll see a list of choices. Click on Change Photo.

Step 6: Click on Choose File, then navigate your computer to choose your image. When done, make sure to click Save Changes at the bottom of the screen.

Step 7: You're not done yet! Now, on the left side of the screen, click on Change Avatar, then repeat Step 6.

Your Photo and your Avatar are essentially the same thing, a little image that represents you. Each one is used in different places in the forum, so you need both. Most people are using the same image in both places, but some folks like to use two different images. It's all good. Again, be creative!

Mea

(ps, when you're done, repeat steps 3 and 4, except click on the tab for Gallery, and go nuts.)

Mea, I found a pic of me that I'd like to post in my profile, but it's too big. There's that info that says it will resize, but it didn't. I am lost can you help?

Shirley

Doggone computers! I was on my profile page and was trying to exit and voila! The picture magically appeared. It is very late, and it's done. If I knew how to remove my initial question, I would have done it . . . sorry.

Archived