Glaze Calculator

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JBaymore

I think that you will find that the Level II version of Tony Hansen's Insight (Digitalfire.com) will meet and exceed all of your expectations. Been using it for years with my students at the college level. You can download a fully functional Level I demo for free and try it out.

best,

................john

Agni,

There are many programs available, some free. Glazemaster is a database program, $50US, for Mac or PC that I have found easy to use. http://www.masteringglazes.com/Pages/GM1frame.html

Insight, as others mention, is very good, costs a bit more.

Hyperglaze, by Richard Burkett, at the U. of San Diego, US, is written by an artist and seems less linear to me, cost $100US, is a full-featured program. www.hyperglaze.com

Hello;

I'm looking for a french or english glaze calculator program. Does anyone know one?

Guest JBaymore

The Level II version of Insight gains you 3 (?) years of online access to the best online ceramics reference database outside of what is available through the ACERS (American Ceramic Society) real engineering papers ("real" ACERS membership....not Potter's Council). I feel that the resource is well worth the added cost if you really do technical work.

The $149 is only about the typical cost for one night's room at the annual NCECA conference. A single ceramics textbook typically costs about $30-40.

Level II also gives you access to a few aspects of Insight that are not there in Level I. The most important and useful is that fact that there are Material Data Tables already set up for detailed materials from all over the world. That can make convertin recipes form other countries pertty easy (or at least easier). Those MDTs and materials analysis figures are getting constantly updated and augmented. It is a simple matter to add them to your personal MDT in Insight. You can still input a materials analysis into a Level I copy of insight.... but it is far more of a "manual process".

best,

..................john

Guest JBaymore

Insight is nice because of all the articles Lvl 2 gives you access too.... but hyper-glaze is more "user friendly"

Does that mean Insight is quirky or without clear instruction? Or can a computer newbie use Hyper-glaze with out instructions or a book?

Kathy,

Personally I feel that Insight is not all that difficult to learn, and literally hundreds of students in my classes have been able to figure it out. Your mileage may vary? It is not "quirky" and there is a RAFT of documentation available. The Level II offers a "kid in a candy store" experience.

Go to the digitalfire website. http://digitalfire.com/index.html Download the fully functional Level I demo program. (Left side of the page.) It works for 2 months. Then use the tutorials on the site to learn about not only how to use Insight, but at the same time understnad why you are using it in the first place. The tutorials cover basic ceramic chemsitry concepts as they teach you the basic program interface and functions. You can go back to them anytime you want.

If you can use Windows, Insight is built off of that basic interface functionality.

Can't say much about the other program options, because I have only tried them in the past and stuck with Insight because of what it offers. I am sure others will chime in more. See if demos are available and invest some research time.

best,

.....................john

• 1 year later...

Insight is nice because of all the articles Lvl 2 gives you access too.... but hyper-glaze is more "user friendly"

Does that mean Insight is quirky or without clear instruction? Or can a computer newbie use Hyper-glaze with out instructions or a book?

Kathy,

Personally I feel that Insight is not all that difficult to learn, and literally hundreds of students in my classes have been able to figure it out. Your mileage may vary? It is not "quirky" and there is a RAFT of documentation available. The Level II offers a "kid in a candy store" experience.

Go to the digitalfire website. http://digitalfire.com/index.html Download the fully functional Level I demo program. (Left side of the page.) It works for 2 months. Then use the tutorials on the site to learn about not only how to use Insight, but at the same time understnad why you are using it in the first place. The tutorials cover basic ceramic chemsitry concepts as they teach you the basic program interface and functions. You can go back to them anytime you want.

If you can use Windows, Insight is built off of that basic interface functionality.

Can't say much about the other program options, because I have only tried them in the past and stuck with Insight because of what it offers. I am sure others will chime in more. See if demos are available and invest some research time.

best,

.....................john

I have to agree with John, Digital Fire is a good program. I've used it for basic glaze calc for quite a while now. The formulation software provides all of the data a potter needs to create pretty much any glaze and have some idea of the results prior to testing.

Hello;

I'm looking for a french or english glaze calculator program. Does anyone know one?

check out glazesimulator.com. i use it all the time.

Oooooh... neat.

I've never used it (too broke) but Digital Fire from what I've seen was nice for the fact they go in to describe the raw materials and how they work at different firing temps.

I do not think anyone mentioned Glazemaster as to if it is good or bad or whatever. I used the free download of it for awhile but have not compaired it to any others. I was thinking of reloading it or buying the software and was not aware the there were other choices. Good ? Bad ? How does it compair? I did highfire reduction in collage and prefer it for how it looks on pots. It seems to have a life to it. I mainly do tile now, so I like the choice of color and control I get from cone 6 electric. I now have access to both types of firings ( lucky soul that I am) so it would be good to have a program that could be used for both. Don't forget to smile. Thank you, Kabe

Archived