• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gordonpots

gordonpots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion for sealing cracked insulating brick in the bottom of an electric kiln? The cracks aren't too bad yet but I'd like to find something that will help maintain the bricks' integrity longer.

Thanks,
David

#2 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion for sealing cracked insulating brick in the bottom of an electric kiln? The cracks aren't too bad yet but I'd like to find something that will help maintain the bricks' integrity longer.

Thanks,
David

David I have had a bag of kiln cement in my studio for 30 years, I believe it's a AMACO product. I mix it thin enough to pour into the crack and keep filling it until it's level. I keep broken shelves covering the bottom of the kiln. they help slow down the heat loss. Hope this helps you Denice

#3 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,728 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:00 PM

Thanks,
David

I learned this on Clayart and used it on the kilns at UH -Manoa when I was teaching there. Soak ceramic fiber in ITC 100 and stuff the cracks. I used this on some very large cracks. I also rebuilt the floor in one of the kilns with my three Grad students.. There were 9 , I think. They were in rough shape.

#4 gordonpots

gordonpots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

Thanks so much for the info. I've heard of kiln cement but haven't tried it. Sounds like what I need for now.
-David

Thanks,
David

David I have had a bag of kiln cement in my studio for 30 years, I believe it's a AMACO product. I mix it thin enough to pour into the crack and keep filling it until it's level. I keep broken shelves covering the bottom of the kiln. they help slow down the heat loss. Hope this helps you Denice

#5 gordonpots

gordonpots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

Thanks, Marcia. This sounds like a very good approach for rescuing a badly cracked floor. If I can't get the cracks stopped with kiln cement, I think this wil be a good fall-back approach before having to replace the floor.

Much appreciated,
David

Thanks,
David

I learned this on Clayart and used it on the kilns at UH -Manoa when I was teaching there. Soak ceramic fiber in ITC 100 and stuff the cracks. I used this on some very large cracks. I also rebuilt the floor in one of the kilns with my three Grad students.. There were 9 , I think. They were in rough shape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users