• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Momeema

Momeema

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

I have a lot of 04 glazes & crystal glazes but I have cone 5 stoneware. I am making ceramic windchimes. What would happen if I tried missmatching glazes? I am doing a test fire but would like some input. I will post my results, wish me luck!
Momeema

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:36 AM

You might try mixing a little of your clay in slip form in with the glazes to prevent them from running all over the place. Definitely test. Maybe try a teaspoon or two as a first step.

#3 Mara Orsi Cammi

Mara Orsi Cammi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationChile

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

I have a lot of 04 glazes & crystal glazes but I have cone 5 stoneware. I am making ceramic windchimes. What would happen if I tried missmatching glazes? I am doing a test fire but would like some input. I will post my results, wish me luck!
Momeema

Hi Momeema,
I think that the fact that the stoneware matures at a temperature different from the glazes you plan to use will not be a problem, you could bisque it at a higher temperature even cone 4 and then glaze it, and fire it at the cone the glaze requires.
good luck
Mara Orsi
www.maraorsiceramic.com
Mara Cammi Orsi

I do things with my hand and my soul
http://www.maraorsiceramic.com

file:///Users/lesorsi/Desktop/DSC00861.JPG

#4 Momeema

Momeema

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

Thanks! I test fired some crystal glazes last night, they worked out except for a couple. I will now try your sugestion and post results.
Thanks,
Momeema

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users