Rutile oxide wash

Iforgot

Water, rutile and either lithium or Gerstley borate. I use a close amount of Rutile to the G B. or Lithium Carbonate and add enough water for a good wash.

This makes a really nice wash with iron saturate glazes.

Marcia

Marcia;

Looks like a lot of my customers are wanting Temmoku, or iron saturate glazes. I had one teapot with a stuck lid that was a dark Shino- could have sold it 4 times.[studio open house, not hauling it to a craft fair.]

Anyway, I know you can use rutile for on glaze decoration, which I want to try. Would you combine it with fritt in equal parts, or Ger Bor, in what proportion?

TJR.

I use the above recipe on ^6 temmoku reduction near equal...sometimes less rutile and a little more grit. I don't weighit. I think the less rutile is the lighter area on the brush stroke and more rutile is the browner color. This was done "one the brush.

1. This is the wash on a ^6 temmoku. With Gertsley Borate in reduction it can be interesting. I used Gerstley Borate and rutile in water. I think a flux helps.

Depending on the firing it can go gold with glitter highlights. Probably depends on the firing.

2. same type wash on ^10 temmoku when I was in U of Hawaii teaching

3. ^6 iron red glaze in Oxidation with a rutile/lithium wash on top and edges. It went bluish on the dots. Black on the edges.

4. Urn with Lithium /rutile wash ^6 Ox.

Marcia

post-1954-135648330079_thumb.jpg

post-1954-135648332127_thumb.jpg

post-1954-135652827218_thumb.jpg

post-1954-135648330079_thumb.jpg

post-1954-135648332127_thumb.jpg

post-1954-135652827218_thumb.jpg

Archived