Clay in the Bay

spring

I'm very excited to be part of this show and included with some really amazing artists.

Hope you get a chance to check it out.

Clay in The Bay

The de Saisset Museum, Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, Ca.

January 18 - March 17, 2013

The use of clay as a fine art medium has deep roots in Northern California. Once considered a form of craft, it took the ingenuity, creativity, and vision of artists like Robert Arneson and Peter Voulkos to look beyond the medium's utilitarian properties to its expressive qualities. In the decades following, their successors—artists such as Stephen DeStaebler, David Gilhooly, Ron Nagle, and Richard Shaw—continued to stretch the creative boundaries of clay sculpture. Today, the use of the medium as a respected art form continues to thrive.

Clay in the Bay speaks to this important legacy and to the vitality of the medium in the Bay Area. The exhibition brings together artists from around the region who are consistently utilizing clay as a form of self-expression. For some, it is the sole medium in which they work; for others the ceramic elements are part of a larger whole. Through the diverse practice and varied technique of these artists, clay is transformed into organic shape, architectural design, and narrative form. The works included in the show speak to the incredible versatility of the medium as it is molded, shaped, and otherwise manipulated.

Artists in this exhibition include Bean Finneran, Don Fritz, Francisco "Pancho" Jiménez, Robert Kvenild, David Linger, Spring Montes, Matthew Scheatzle, Nancy Selvin, Ehren Tool, Monica Van den Dool, Jenni Ward, and Stan Welsh.

My link

post-3648-135628327017_thumb.png

post-3648-135628327017_thumb.png

I'm very excited to be part of this show and included with some really amazing artists.

Clay in The Bay

The use of clay as a fine art medium has deep roots in Northern California. Once considered a form of craft, it took the ingenuity, creativity, and vision of artists like Robert Arneson and Peter Voulkos to look beyond the medium's utilitarian properties to its expressive qualities. In the decades following, their successors—artists such as Stephen DeStaebler, David Gilhooly, Ron Nagle, and Richard Shaw—continued to stretch the creative boundaries of clay sculpture. Today, the use of the medium as a respected art form continues to thrive.

Clay in the Bay speaks to this important legacy and to the vitality of the medium in the Bay Area. The exhibition brings together artists from around the region who are consistently utilizing clay as a form of self-expression. For some, it is the sole medium in which they work; for others the ceramic elements are part of a larger whole. Through the diverse practice and varied technique of these artists, clay is transformed into organic shape, architectural design, and narrative form. The works included in the show speak to the incredible versatility of the medium as it is molded, shaped, and otherwise manipulated.

Artists in this exhibition include Bean Finneran, Don Fritz, Francisco "Pancho" Jiménez, Robert Kvenild, David Linger, Spring Montes, Matthew Scheatzle, Nancy Selvin, Ehren Tool, Monica Van den Dool, Jenni Ward, and Stan Welsh.

My link

Looks like a great show. I hope they post lots of pics. Yours and Nancy Selvin are the only names I recognize, so looking forward to being introduce to new talent.

Jim

Clay in The Bay

My link

Looks like a great show. I hope they post lots of pics. Yours and Nancy Selvin are the only names I recognize, so looking forward to being introduce to new talent.

Jim

HI Jim,

Most of them are teachers at Universities in the area. Including my most recent teachers, Stan Welsh (MFA Alfred, BFA KCAI) and Monica Van Den Dool ( MFA U of Montana Bozeman). Bean Finneran is also rather well respected, she's not a teacher, but was invited to show at the 3rd World Ceramic Biennale in Korea in 2005 and the 20th International Biennial of Contemporary Ceramics in Vallauris, France to name a few of her past shows.

I am really excited to be part of this show cuz everyone else has MFA's and are established artists.

I'll make sure to take lots of picks

Spring

Archived