underfiring and huge blisters

anniec9

I'm trying to glaze fire in a gas kiln given to me. This last firing could not reach cone 03 (1100) after 10 hours. Highest it reached was 980. The result is huge huge blisters,

and unglossy glazes. I think there is a bit of heat escaping from around top of lid, could this be causing the problem. This is the 2nd glaze firing, the first was a semi success,

some of the pots were OK, but this firing all the pots are unsuccessfully fired. It was a total disaster. It seems as though when increasing the KPA every half hour there is not

a big enough increase in the temperature each time.

Annie

I'm trying to glaze fire in a gas kiln given to me. This last firing could not reach cone 03 (1100) after 10 hours. Highest it reached was 980. The result is huge huge blisters,

and unglossy glazes. I think there is a bit of heat escaping from around top of lid, could this be causing the problem. This is the 2nd glaze firing, the first was a semi success,

some of the pots were OK, but this firing all the pots are unsuccessfully fired. It was a total disaster. It seems as though when increasing the KPA every half hour there is not

Annie

Hi Annie,

could you explain a little more. What temperature are you trying to reach for your glaze? What configuration is this gas kiln...burners underneath?

What is KPA , a term I am unfamiliar with.

Marcia

Annie

Hi Annie,

could you explain a little more. What temperature are you trying to reach for your glaze? What configuration is this gas kiln...burners underneath?

What is KPA , a term I am unfamiliar with.

Marcia

Hi Marcia, I'm trying to reach a temperature of 1100 degrees Cel. The gas kiln is a top loader with burners at the back rear r.h. side. A KPA meter gives readings showing how much

pressure of gas is flowing to the burner. This is how the firing is regulated, increasing the KPA pressure by 10 every 15-30 minutes. It has a small burner to start off with, then one large burner for the actual firing (I think that is right or should I leave the small burner alight as well during the firinging? Reading the log book of firings that came with the kiln, the temperature should increase

from 0 to 1100 deg. C in about 4 and half hours, but after 10 hours still hadn;t reached that, the cone holder had exploded so couldn't see the cones. Can you give me any advice at all, would be well and truly appreciated. thank you Annie

Archived