• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

I fired a load of porcelain with some pieces I made in Sept. before I went to a residency in France. I sort of remember when throwing this piece that it was a struggle with some stiff clay. I may I recycled 2 porcelains together. I was a little shocked when I opened the kiln. I will add that I has washed off some slip decoration immediately before firing. I have never seen this before after 46 years of working with clay. Any comments on what happened?

Attached Files

#2 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

Washing off the slip may have weakened the pot. I try to avoid ever adding water to bone dry pots.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#3 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

It looks like a tension fracture to me ... just the way it fractured looks like there was a battle going on maybe between two clay bodies. I have to say that I really like how it cracked and would be tempted to keep it around for a while.
Where was the decoration you washed off ... There or on the wide body?

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#4 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

The slip was over the entire surface because I had prepped it for shellac carving. While in France I tried a new idea which was more simple and worked better. So, I thought I'd give it a try back home. I think I may have mixed some paper clay scrap with Frost or else some ^6 porcelain from Alligator clay with Frost. It clearly had two types of porcelain and both were stiff to throw.
I sponged off the slip but it did get damp....not wet but damp. It appeared dry before I fired. I did a slow bisque. I was just shocked to see how that cracked up. I have never seen that before and I have been teaching and working in clay for 40+ years.
I think you both are right about the stress of two bodies and probably how the water affected the two as well.

I thought it was a pretty amazing crack up. A second pot that I cleaned off the same way did not have any problems...sp I am thinking the 2 types of clay had a differential in their absorbency if that makes sense.

Marcia

#5 Avaviel

Avaviel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

I read a quote today, "If art isn't functional, bad pots are art*" or something to that effect. In this case, I'd love to see it glazed, even though it cracked. The fracture is quite beautiful.

*Not to say I fully agree, the article was pointing out the disagreement between 'artists' and 'craftsmen', and how those distinctions can be superficial. But, I'm digressing from the thread...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users