Sign in to follow this  
nepheline

Smelly Clays

Does anyone have an idea how to avoid clays that have to sit for a long time in buckets. I have of course covered the buckets. i have tried lavender. But some clays really develop an awful smell i no time at all.

I have used a few drops of bleach.

Thank you Marcia. I have tried bleach. It works a couple of days but then the smell takes over. The idea is to let the clays sit as long as the buckets are not full. When they are full, I spend half a day dealing with all the clays that need to be recycled. Otherwise I spend too much time and use too much space dealing with small amounts of used clays. The problem is particularly strong with porcelain and very fine stoneware (without grog.)

Add some hydrogen peroxide to your buckets.

Thank you Andy. I know nothing about hydrogen peroxide. Can you tell me an approximate percentage ? Does it alter in any way the quality of the clay ? Does it require wearing gloves ?

Add some hydrogen peroxide to your buckets.

Thank you Andy. I know nothing about hydrogen peroxide. Can you tell me an approximate percentage ? Does it alter in any way the quality of the clay ? Does it require wearing gloves ?

Hydrogen Peroxide doesn't affect my clay nepheline. I go more by feel then percentage when I add it. Start at 2 tablespoons in your bucket. BTW you didn't mention the size of your buckets These are 5 gallon ones?

On my side of the world, gallons are liters... but yes my buckets are - if I count right - approximately 5 gallons.

Ok, There shouldn't be a problem then with 2 tablespoons. Keep in mind like the bleach you'll need to add more from time to time.

On my side of the world, gallons are liters... but yes my buckets are - if I count right - approximately 5 gallons.

Ok, There shouldn't be a problem then with 2 tablespoons. Keep in mind like the bleach you'll need to add more from time to time.

Thanks. Will try!