• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nepheline

nepheline

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

Does anyone have an idea how to avoid clays that have to sit for a long time in buckets. I have of course covered the buckets. i have tried lavender. But some clays really develop an awful smell i no time at all.

#2 AndyL

AndyL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

Add some hydrogen peroxide to your buckets.

#3 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

I have used a few drops of bleach.

#4 nepheline

nepheline

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:59 AM

I have used a few drops of bleach.

Thank you Marcia. I have tried bleach. It works a couple of days but then the smell takes over. The idea is to let the clays sit as long as the buckets are not full. When they are full, I spend half a day dealing with all the clays that need to be recycled. Otherwise I spend too much time and use too much space dealing with small amounts of used clays. The problem is particularly strong with porcelain and very fine stoneware (without grog.)

#5 nepheline

nepheline

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:02 AM

Thank you Andy. I know nothing about hydrogen peroxide. Can you tell me an approximate percentage ? Does it alter in any way the quality of the clay ? Does it require wearing gloves ?

#6 AndyL

AndyL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:09 AM

Thank you Andy. I know nothing about hydrogen peroxide. Can you tell me an approximate percentage ? Does it alter in any way the quality of the clay ? Does it require wearing gloves ?

Hydrogen Peroxide doesn't affect my clay nepheline. I go more by feel then percentage when I add it. Start at 2 tablespoons in your bucket. BTW you didn't mention the size of your buckets These are 5 gallon ones?

#7 nepheline

nepheline

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:33 PM

On my side of the world, gallons are liters... but yes my buckets are - if I count right - approximately 5 gallons.

#8 AndyL

AndyL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

On my side of the world, gallons are liters... but yes my buckets are - if I count right - approximately 5 gallons.

Ok, There shouldn't be a problem then with 2 tablespoons. Keep in mind like the bleach you'll need to add more from time to time.

#9 nepheline

nepheline

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:55 AM

Ok, There shouldn't be a problem then with 2 tablespoons. Keep in mind like the bleach you'll need to add more from time to time.

Thanks. Will try!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users