Educating myself on the 'dismal science' (Economics)

Any suggestions for a comprehensive resource on Art marketing- ideally with a ceramics focus?

I'm a bit of a Hermione (first impulse is to read a book)... but some preliminary digging on Amazon and at my local ceramics supply house hasn't been too successful. Are there any good books that I'm not seeing on this topic?

Alternatively, has anyone used the services offered by the Arts Business Institute (consulting or the online course)? Are there any other similar options (online or DVD) that I should look into?

Robin Hopper wrote a book, Staying Alive with a longer title but you can find it by googling. A very old book by Tom Coleman was theMud pie Dilemma.

Also, Wendy Rosen offers advice in seminars although she is running for public office I believe.

More contemporary info should be available for selling on etsy or other. Venues. Guild.com was a big one a decade ago.

Chris Campbell also offers some advice sometimes at NCECA formal and informal venues.

Chris will probably chime in here.

Marcia

Guest JBaymore

Don't forget "The Potters Professional Handbook" by Steven Branfman. Available through the Ceramic Arts folks (if you are a member of the Potters Council ....... you get a discount) and also from Steven's absolutely SUPER bookstore service called "The Potters Shop" in Needham, MA.

Also......... ANY book on business and marketing really pretty much applies to what we do. Business is business. Each business has to take the general principles involved and then adapt them to its own specific needs and product. What works for one business (potter) does not necessarily work for another.

best,

.............john

I learned everything I know about wholesaling by attending the Visiting Artists Program, which was provided by the Arts Business Institute at the Buyers Market of American Craft. (ABI and BMAC are run by the same organization, The Rosen Group.) I was just looking at the BMAC website and it looks like they are not offering the Visting Artist Program at the 2013 BMAC. Anyhow, I thought the program was excellent and did indeed provide me with the knowledge I needed to enter the wholesale marketplace. So if ABI is now offering workshops and online courses on the same subject, I would tend to believe they are worthwhile.

Mea

I have an advertising and marketing college degree I got back in my country but after moving to the US, I found myself confused about the market. I read many books and the only one I really like is "I'd Rather be in the studio" by Alyson Stanfield. I also read her blog and follow her on facebook. I think that book is so comprehensive of what you need to do you'll be busy for a while.

This is her blog if you want to take a look.

http://www.artbizblog.com

I learned everything I know about wholesaling by attending the Visiting Artists Program, which was provided by the Arts Business Institute at the Buyers Market of American Craft. (ABI and BMAC are run by the same organization, The Rosen Group.) I was just looking at the BMAC website and it looks like they are not offering the Visting Artist Program at the 2013 BMAC. Anyhow, I thought the program was excellent and did indeed provide me with the knowledge I needed to enter the wholesale marketplace. So if ABI is now offering workshops and online courses on the same subject, I would tend to believe they are worthwhile.

Mea

Cool. I'd never heard of the ABI until a few days ago, but I'm intrigued by both their online course and their individual consults. The course runs (I believe) $165- while the consults are $95. Too much for me to want to carve out without talking to someone who's tried it (but not a bad price if either one delivers). So- if anyone has the inside scoop...

Archived