#1 SShirley

SShirley

Cow Creek Pottery

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationPittsburg, Kansas

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

I'm curious about what schedule people are using for cone 6 in automatic kilns? I recently bought one, and am trying to fine-tune my firing. Some of my glazes are gloss, some are matte and my studio partner uses Coyote commercial glazes. Do we need a different schedule for each type?

Thanks,

Sylvia

#2 hansen

hansen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, Virginia

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:00 AM

Good question - I like to fire to cone 6 from stone cold in about 6 hours but realistically it takes me about 7-8 to get there. I cut the power, shut everything off but it will be longer than 7-8 hours before farenheit 451 (testing with a twisted piece of newsprint) then I open up the ports, plugs, and prope the lid 1/2 inch open. etc. Glaze and matte is a function of glaze chemistry not maturing point. But since you want to do Coyote's glazes what do they recommend???
h a n s e n

I'm curious about what schedule people are using for cone 6 in automatic kilns? I recently bought one, and am trying to fine-tune my firing. Some of my glazes are gloss, some are matte and my studio partner uses Coyote commercial glazes. Do we need a different schedule for each type?

Thanks,

Sylvia

h a n s e n
Stone House Studio, Alexandria, Virginia

americanpotter.blogspot.com
thesuddenschool.blogspot.com

#3 SShirley

SShirley

Cow Creek Pottery

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationPittsburg, Kansas

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

That sounds a lot like the schedule I used with my old manual kiln. The Skutt rep gave me a 6 stage schedule for slow cooling to allow tiny crystals to develop for matte glazes, but I was just wondering what other people used. I have no idea what Coyote recommends, since I don't use their glazes myself.

Thanks for the response.

Sylvia

Good question - I like to fire to cone 6 from stone cold in about 6 hours but realistically it takes me about 7-8 to get there. I cut the power, shut everything off but it will be longer than 7-8 hours before farenheit 451 (testing with a twisted piece of newsprint) then I open up the ports, plugs, and prope the lid 1/2 inch open. etc. Glaze and matte is a function of glaze chemistry not maturing point. But since you want to do Coyote's glazes what do they recommend???
h a n s e n

Thanks,

Sylvia

#4 hansen

hansen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, Virginia

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:56 AM

Well there is a school of thought that the bell shaped curve is the best to avoid defects, although there are those who crash cool for other reasons... then there is the peak & soak school, as well as the fire and re-fire people. So much depends on the glazes actually.

h a n s e n

That sounds a lot like the schedule I used with my old manual kiln. The Skutt rep gave me a 6 stage schedule for slow cooling to allow tiny crystals to develop for matte glazes, but I was just wondering what other people used. I have no idea what Coyote recommends, since I don't use their glazes myself.

Thanks for the response.

Sylvia

h a n s e n

Thanks,

Sylvia

h a n s e n
Stone House Studio, Alexandria, Virginia

americanpotter.blogspot.com
thesuddenschool.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users