Cement

Hi there,

A friend of mine removed a tile from a wall in order to save the mural. Unfortunately one of the tiles got broken. I have removed as much of the tile glue and cement from the back as I feel comfortable doing. I have repaired tiles in the past but none that have been contaminated in this way. If there are still some bits (tiny) of cement on the back what do you think it is going to do in the kiln. I plan on refiring at about 1000C. Any advice gratefully recieved!

Trina

Why are you refiring the tile?

Hi there, I am refiring it as it is broken in three pieces, and the break has destroyed the pattern on the front so I have made a new back out of paper clay filled the gaps with white earthenwear paperclay, and then re-touched the design, and will fire again. I learned this tecnique from a german who specializes in ceramic restoration work in Germany. It works great and has a better result than glue ect... T

Hi there, I am refiring it as it is broken in three pieces, and the break has destroyed the pattern on the front so I have made a new back out of paper clay filled the gaps with white earthenwear paperclay, and then re-touched the design, and will fire again. I learned this tecnique from a german who specializes in ceramic restoration work in Germany. It works great and has a better result than glue ect... T

Sounds very interesting. How do you get the clay colors and glaze (?) to match?

Sounds very interesting. How do you get the clay colors and glaze (?) to match?

Hi there,

Well in this case it is not that hard, the tile is terracotta covered with what looks like a white engobe that has been painted on. So I just do painting using a palette of stains, then cover the whole thing with a clear glaze. I will do this one on both sides just to give it a bit of extra strength. - Will post a picture of the end result. T

• 1 month later...

You may want to take a look at Lakside Pottery's Ceramic repair and restoration lessons and tutorials listed in the page below. The information is with lots of illustrations and a video covering several aspects of repairing and restoring ceramic, china, porcelain and pottery:

http://lakesidepotte...-tutorials.html

Kindly, Patty and Morty

Archived