• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gary_varner

gary_varner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

I recently spent three days creating a large tile and two more applying glaze and wound up with a disaster. For a large portion of it I used Coyote Cone 6 Leopard Shino which should produce a nice golden rust color. It was fired at cone 5 (which the instructions say is permissable) and came out an ugly muddy brown. I have no oidea what happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

#2 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

I recently spent three days creating a large tile and two more applying glaze and wound up with a disaster. For a large portion of it I used Coyote Cone 6 Leopard Shino which should produce a nice golden rust color. It was fired at cone 5 (which the instructions say is permissable) and came out an ugly muddy brown. I have no oidea what happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

Did you test the glaze before you fired your tiles?
John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#3 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

I am inclined towards thinking the glaze application was too thin. Have used some of the Coyote shinos before and a thick application (applied by brush, two to three coats, allowing a coat to dry in-between) tended to provide better results.

#4 Matt Oz

Matt Oz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

It also sounds to me like it could be to thin, those glazes are darker where thin, and lighter where thick, which can be used to your advantage.

#5 gary_varner

gary_varner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

Thanks. I used two coats with drying between but perhaps they were still too thin. Trial and error I guess.

#6 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Try re glazing them ... Another coat and a re fire might do the trick ... just warm the tiles up in a 200 degree oven and glaze.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#7 gary_varner

gary_varner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Try re glazing them ... Another coat and a re fire might do the trick ... just warm the tiles up in a 200 degree oven and glaze.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if that would work or not but sure would be worth a try!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users