Sign in to follow this  

Even thought TV is mostly a wasteland, there is an increasingly interesting trend.  I think started by the cooking shows, "competitive creativity" is branching out.  Last night I watched about 4 episodes of a contest of glass blowers on Netflix.  I regularly watch Forged in Fire, Ink Master and occasionally Chopped.  I think all art forms are related on some level and have found them instructive for my own.  Besides the technical aspects, these shows highlight and to some degree feature the personalities of the contestants.  While I mute and fast forward through the petty bickering of the tattoo artists, the knife makers are without exception gentlemen in the best sense.  

I loved the glass blower show on Netflix! It’s called “Blown Away” for anyone who wants to watch it.

Edited by GEP

I haven't seen the BBC pottery throwdown.  I've been wondering when or how they would get to that.  The fact that our production isn't accomplished in one sitting had to be a challenge for the producers.  I don't really know where to find BBC in general.  I'll go looking though.

I just love the general concept of "show me your chops".  The thought process in creativity is never so on display as these shows.  Sometimes the artists had a preconceived general concept and sometimes, you can see the spontaneity of the creation.  Some of these people are so creative they can be challenged well outside their "comfort zones" and still kick ass.  Very impressive.