Television

Even thought TV is mostly a wasteland, there is an increasingly interesting trend.  I think started by the cooking shows, "competitive creativity" is branching out.  Last night I watched about 4 episodes of a contest of glass blowers on Netflix.  I regularly watch Forged in Fire, Ink Master and occasionally Chopped.  I think all art forms are related on some level and have found them instructive for my own.  Besides the technical aspects, these shows highlight and to some degree feature the personalities of the contestants.  While I mute and fast forward through the petty bickering of the tattoo artists, the knife makers are without exception gentlemen in the best sense.  

I haven't seen the BBC pottery throwdown.  I've been wondering when or how they would get to that.  The fact that our production isn't accomplished in one sitting had to be a challenge for the producers.  I don't really know where to find BBC in general.  I'll go looking though.

I just love the general concept of "show me your chops".  The thought process in creativity is never so on display as these shows.  Sometimes the artists had a preconceived general concept and sometimes, you can see the spontaneity of the creation.  Some of these people are so creative they can be challenged well outside their "comfort zones" and still kick ass.  Very impressive.  

• 3 weeks later...

Does Netflix still have Sky Ladder available to watch? Cai Guo-Qiana a chinese artist  who now lives in New Jersey i think ‘paints’ with gunpowder. 

I hate watching cooking shows. I have a visceral reaction to them because i am surrounded by young people who don’t know how to cook. Actually young adults too. Those shows dont focus on the art of cooking, but more on competition and being really mean. Not all. But many do.

Ive watched many Chihully movies. Amazing.

I love architecture a lot. There’s a show i think called Amazing homes on Netflix. I watched house built under huge aero plane wings and i was hooked. 

Archived