Paragon A 11 6b Small Kiln

PennyR

I have the opportunity to buy a small kiln for testing new clays, and wondered if this kiln, in working condition, is worth 150.00.  I am considering buying it as I am working with wild clays and will need to run tests etc... thought this might be a good one for that.  I have never used this small of a kiln, and wondered if anyone had any advice?  Thanks!

I don't know if a kiln that small is worth much unless it was in decent shape.  I am no real judge of kiln values, but the values seem to vary quite a bit over condition. What does it look like inside? Are the bricks clean and un-damaged? Have the elements been recently replaced?  Or, are the insides chipped, stained, and worn, with sagging and oxidized elements?  How about the power cord and shell conditions?  And does it come with any furniture?  Perhaps some pictures might help.  

It actually looks barely used inside.    The kiln sitter shows some rust on the top probably from storage.   

I know it's tiny, but I really need to use something to test clays and glazes. I am rather new to kilns and am nervous about spending too much.

66850591_2482696451958404_1219210768587685888_n.jpg.b3d3855a0ba2588595af6d2a5f85f4ed.jpg

44 minutes ago, PennyR said:

I know it's tiny, but I really need to use something to test clays and glazes.

Problem with tiny test kilns that don't have a controller is you can't control the rate the kiln cools at. Small kilns tend to fire fast and crash cool really fast. For testing clays it would probably be okay if you heated it up slowly but for glazes that need a slower rate of cooling it could be a problem. You could add a pyrometer to help somewhat but it's likely not going to fire the same as a larger kiln. My test kiln is about twice the size, we added a used controller to it but prior to that I really did notice a difference in glazes fired in it versus my larger kilns, even the ones that didn't need a controlled slow cool. If you need it the specs for it are here.

(I'm moving this thread over to the Equipment Use and Repair section.)

I'd buy it for $100, but like Min said, you'll want a controller on it to control the cool down if you plan to test glazes. I've got a baby kiln just like that, and it was worthless for testing until I got a controller. Nothing looked the same as in my bigger kilns. You can get an Orton 3 button controller for that kiln for $450.

Archived