Buying new kiln

ShaoGG

Where are you located?

What type of kiln (I'm guessing electric?)

- What voltage ?

What kind of controller?

Front or Top Loader?

For under 2K, you definitely won't get anything top of the line.  L&L are great kilns, and what I'd look into, if I were getting a new kiln.  I did a quick check, and for one of their smallest electric, with a controller, it was  a bit over two thousand.  One with a kiln sitter, would be a few hundred cheaper.  I also like Skutt, but still you won't get much for under two thousand. 

What about a "New to You" kiln.  I got a newer kiln, from a school, for a couple hundred.  I have to repair a couple things, but it will last quite a while.  Keep an eye on auction sites, and you can find a deal!

2 minutes ago, Benzine said:

Where are you located?

What type of kiln (I'm guessing electric?)

- What voltage ?

What kind of controller?

Front or Top Loader?

For under 2K, you definitely won't get anything top of the line.  L&L are great kilns, and what I'd look into, if I were getting a new kiln.  I did a quick check, and for one of their smallest electric, with a controller, it was  a bit over two thousand.  One with a kiln sitter, would be a few hundred cheaper.  I also like Skutt, but still you won't get much for under two thousand. 

What about a "New to You" kiln.  I got a newer kiln, from a school, for a couple hundred.  I have to repair a couple things, but it will last quite a while.  Keep an eye on auction sites, and you can find a deal!

Good idea about a used kiln. I'm located near Toronto Canada. Looking for an electric 220/240 volts is ok. I'd like a digital controller so I can set it and not have to watch as close. Any type of loading is ok for me.  Are there any particular auction sites? I've been watching Amazon Kijiji if something does come up there it's usually really old like 1970's looking old

Craig's List isn't too bad, because you can find people, who don't have an unrealistic expectation of what things are worth.  I got my first wheel there, for a reasonable price, with some clay and tools thrown in.

Stay away from eBay, because the opposite seems to be true.  Everyone there, thinks their kiln and/ or wheel should be worth brand new, retail price.

Here in the US, we have Govdeals.com and Public Surplus.  They are auction sites for Government institutions, like schools. 

Archived