looking to buy used kiln

Just now, Kristiistiisti said:

What's a good price on used, but good condition 12 x 24 shelves?

My local supplier sold me cheaper mexican cordierite 12x24x1 shelves for about $30 a shelf. If they are still flat, and not pockmarked with glaze runs, I would say $10/shelf. If they are not cheap bottom of the barrel shelves though its a whole different ball game. If I were selling my used 12x24 advancers, Id be asking $200 a shelf and no bargains...and I'd likely get it too.

As far as the weight; I agree with Neil's link to Alpine's site. Find a kiln which is similar in size to yours and it will give you a good idea. My kiln is just a single wall (4.5", not a typical double wall like yours) and 2" of fiber. Cant remember the exact number of brick, but its something like 350-400 brick in the whole thing (arch, walls, floor, and door), each brick is about 1#, so for my kiln, less than 500 pounds for all my brick. Would be double for yours because of the double wall. The steel on my kiln is mostly 1/4" thick,  with some 5/16" pieces in major structural areas. Its a lean frame; without calculating how much steel I have, I would guess I have less than 500# of steel. The 2" of fiber doesnt weigh much; maybe 100# (gross over estimate). The metal panels which hold the fiber to the kiln (mine are removable) weigh about 30 pounds each (100 total). So my kiln weighs something less than one ton....without the car. Car frame is beefier, and much heavier; car with door likely weighs around 800-1000#. Total kiln weight; 2800-3000#. Id say your WCK is closer to 3 tons. This could be totally incorrect though; depending on how thick your steel is, and how much of it there is. If there are any hard brick in your kilns design (sometimes used as a cold face on floors) the weight could be much more. If you do end up putting it on a trailer, make sure your trailer is rated for the load, but also make sure your tires are too. Overloaded tires, on long drives, will blow out the sidewalls; I dont think your kiln will fare well if the trailer gets fishy on you. Anchor your kiln well too; numerous tie downs; redundant tie downs. Check your straps after the first 30 mins of driving; they will loosen.

Im moving mine from current studio to new studio; less than 45 miles. Will drive it to new location in middle of night to avoid as much traffic as possible, and will be able to go as slow as I want.

Also, I wrote the incorrect price for my last rebuild; dont know why I had $5k in my head; just checked records. $2500 for all my brick; all new brick (straights and #1's), all 2800 Deg, BNZ made; nice quality brick...high alum, low iron. So in regards to building your own, you can do it for a lot cheaper than I mis-stated.

15 minutes ago, Kristiistiisti said:

Neil - Are we really looking at almost 8,000 lbs.

Id bet your closer to 3-4 tons than the 2500# of water you were referencing. Those alpine kilns are solidly built machines; the exterior steel they have on them, and yours doenst, probably adds up to quite a bit of weight, even if its thinner 22-26 gauge steel. The steel frame work is also more robust, and prevalent on the Alpines than your WCK. I wouldnt say the Alpine is double of your kiln, but its not far off.

Im renting a large box truck with a 6 ton rating; will allow me to move more than just kiln at the time. Unless your truck and trailer are big, you may need to rent something.

This link is to another thread on this forum; you might be able to get in touch with WCK owner, and they may have weight info for this unit.

Archived