Creating an chair and table

Hi everyone,

So I'm working on my senior thesis, and I want to create an chair and table out of stoneware clay, and I am curious to read if anyone! If you have done so, would you mind sharing your process! As of right now, I have my theory of how to go about creating the pieces out of clay, but I rather read or even see how someone with more experiences has done the deeds! All thought and examples are welcomed! Thanks

If you are considering a life size table and chair

I know someone who has done tables, Linda Blossom.

She extrudes the legs for the tables. She inserts furniture levels found in hardware stores for leveling the final product.

As for a chair, , I would imaging it is an extended form with a back. measure the kiln you are using to make sure it fits.

Also make the legs so you can insert the levelers after it is fired.

I would look at the levelers before making the legs, so you know the size needed for inserting +- 12%

Marcia

Thank you Marcia,

I'm really excited about creating these two pieces! I'm going to look for some YouTube videos of Ms. Blossom in action! Have you ever created an chair or table out of clay? I'll post pics of my process! Please feel free to leave more information, I'm graduating in may so this for my thesis! Thank you again for your help!

You might look at Peter Kings book of Architectural ceramics He covers a lot of technique for working with thicker clay and I know there is a picture in there of a footstool made by someone else. His book may give you some ideas on how to reinforce things and shape edges. Great book !!ain't clay fun Kabe

Hi everyone,

Thank you everyone for your replies! I'm in the process of writing my thesis, so I'll look into ordering the book and I did check out Blossom, and I like her work. Yet I haven't found and detailed information about her processor creating the pieces I'm looking to create! Thanks again everyone:0) pray for me cause I so need it! Thanks again!

Guest Joe the Lion

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but that book has been out of print for some time, and the cheapest I have seen it selling for is about $50.

You might try your local library (remember those?) or school liberry to see if they can get it for you on inter-library loan. Try worldcat.org to see if any library near you has it.

Hi everyone,

Thank you everyone for your replies! I'm in the process of writing my thesis, so I'll look into ordering the book and I did check out Blossom, and I like her work. Yet I haven't found and detailed information about her processor creating the pieces I'm looking to create! Thanks again everyone:0) pray for me cause I so need it! Thanks again!

See the table and chair completely done and exactly how it needs to be in your mind. See yourself planning it, building it and completing it and when you get to the future, it will be their waiting for you. A work of art I'm sure. Believe big things , recieve big things Happy Firing Kabe

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but that book has been out of print for some time, and the cheapest I have seen it selling for is about $50.

You might try your local library (remember those?) or school liberry to see if they can get it for you on inter-library loan. Try worldcat.org to see if any library near you has it.

You might check Peter Kings website if it is still up ( hope so) Maybe he still has some .Thats where I got mine Happy firing Kabe

Hi everyone,

See the table and chair completely done and exactly how it needs to be in your mind. See yourself planning it, building it and completing it and when you get to the future, it will be their waiting for you. A work of art I'm sure. Believe big things , recieve big things Happy Firing Kabe

First I'm sorry everyone for my poor grammar! I'm an fast typer and my auto speller changes my wording, yet I'll make sure to try and reread what I have typed! For me, I need to see how something is done! Just reading about an process doesn't stick very well in my head! So I will look into both options again thank you !

Archived