General Kiln Questions

Hello,

I have just purchased a new kiln and after reading the very long manual I have a few questions I am hoping somebody here can assist with.   One of the items talked about in the manual is to be careful about storing the shelves in a dry place.  I live in Virginia and the kiln will be in my garage.  I was wondering is the humidity a concern?

I also do a lot of woodworking in my garage which can get very dusty.  I am guessing the fine sawdust could get in the kiln and also cause unexpected results.  Is this a concern?

Thanks

Mike

As long as the shelves are stored in a dry area, humidity won't be a concern.

You shouldn't let dust get onto the kiln. The dust could settle into the switch box and cause the electrical components to overheat. I suggest that when the kiln is not in use, cover it to keep out the dust, and keep it disconnected from the power.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

Thanks Arnold.  That' a very good point  I didn't think about the electrical components overheating .  My plan is to keep it covered when not in use and cool enough to cover.

I plan to do the first firing this weekend on slow bisque per the manual.  It does say that I could put the shelving in for this first firing.  It doesn't however mention anything about the shelves that I have put kiln wash on.  Is it ok to put them in do you think?

Archived