Paragon QF fiber kiln

sprig2

I stumbled onto this little fiber kiln at a thrift shop.  Fun right :) .  It didn't have the furniture kit, it appears it may never have even been fired.  It is also missing one of the metal brackets that holds the bottom to the metal base but its feels secure even without that bracket three brackets are still there (see photo).  Its a Paragon QF no numbers on the model number plate area just says QF next to model number... My question is can I make a shelf for the bottom of this with clay? If so should I use stoneware? Eartenware?  Does anyone know if there is anywhere to buy the furniture kit still and maybe get that bracket as well? I checked Paragon's site but didnt see it there. The furniture kit they have for this type kiln is bigger than this kiln is.   Orrrrr can I kiln wash the bottom of this kiln and fire  with no shelf without ruining it ? The bottom raised area shown in pic is 3.75" square.  I have not fired it yet as I wasn't sure what to do about no shelf and kiln wash? Thanking you in advance for any information. 

rsz_1dscn2381.jpg

rsz_1rsz_dscn2382.jpg

rsz_dscn2383.jpg

The kiln is the QuikFire IV. We eventually discontinued that kiln because the larger 6" x 6" x 6" became more popular.

The QuikFire IV will reach 1,000F in five minutes, so you have to be very careful not to overfire the kiln. Please do not let the kiln get hotter than 2,000°F.

The instruction manual:

http://paragonweb.com/files/manuals/IM110-Quikfire_Inst_&_Service_Manual.pdf

I hope you enjoy the kiln as much as I have.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard / Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

I don't recommend firing directly on the QuikFire IV fiber bottom. A shelf would last much longer. Paragon no longer sells the 4" x4" shelf. But we can cut a shelf down to that size for you. If you are interested, please send an email to info@paragonweb.com. Laura will answer.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

Archived