How to read this casting slip recipe...

potter.y

This is a potentially very silly and easy to answer question, but before I buy ingredients for this recipe, I just wanted to clarify the second half of it -- am I actually supposed to put in 200 (2x?) the amount of stain vs the actual slip body? (Like, in a 2:1 ratio??) That's how I'm reading it, but I must be misinformed. What is the 200 amount supposed to be in relation to? Any help welcome! 

1088479498_ScreenShot2018-06-20at1_53_17PM.png.901b25d8fafd3d983af7f17590b9ae39.pnghttps://ceramicartsnetwork.org/ceramic-recipes/clay-bodies-and-casting-slips/casting-slip-orange/

That recipe is wonky. The amounts for stain, Darvan and sodium silicate are all way off from the original recipe. You will have a glow in the dark mess if you make it up as is.

Original recipe (weights are mixed between pounds and grams)

YunWook Mun's Casting Slip ^6-^10

Custer     2.5 lbs

OM4       1.0 lb

Grolleg  3.0 lbs

EPK          1 lb

Silica (325 mesh)    2.5 lbs

Water 4 lbs

Darvan 7   20 grams

Sodium Silicate   20 grams

Mason Orange Stain #6028   15%

To work out the amount of stain the simplest thing to do would be to convert the whole recipe to grams then add 15% of the dry material weight of stain. So 100 grams of dry base would need 15 grams of stain.

38 minutes ago, Min said:

That recipe is wonky. The amounts for stain, Darvan and sodium silicate are all way off from the original recipe. You will have a glow in the dark mess if you make it up as is.

Original recipe (weights are mixed between pounds and grams)

YunWook Mun's Casting Slip ^6-^10

Custer     2.5 lbs

OM4       1.0 lb

Grolleg  3.0 lbs

EPK          1 lb

Silica (325 mesh)    2.5 lbs

Water 4 lbs

Darvan 7   20 grams

Sodium Silicate   20 grams

Mason Orange Stain #6028   15%

To work out the amount of stain the simplest thing to do would be to convert the whole recipe to grams then add 15% of the dry material weight of stain. So 100 grams of dry base would need 15 grams of stain.

You're an absolute angel. Thank you. :)

Archived