Help with Cress kiln?

I recently purchased a used Cress B18H kiln. 240 volts, 23 watts, with kiln sitter. I am not familiar with this model kiln, but was told by the seller (who had recently moved, and had no 240 outlet available to show it performing) that it works fine, and it certainly does appears very clean.Plugging it in to test for the first time, setting both dials to "Medium", the pyrometric stick in place, the elements began to heat immediately, but then the kiln powered off after about thirty seconds, stayed off for a few weconds, and then came back on for about another thirty seconds. I listened/watched this cycle for about four off-and-ons, and thought it best to shut it down and start asking questions. Is this the normal way that this kiln ramps up to temperature, or is there perhaps something wrong with the controls? Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think this type of switch on the Cress kilns powers the coils in intervals...like 30 seconds and then off. As the settings increase, the amount of time the coils get power increases. Did you have the switches on the highest setting? I had a Cress years ago. It was a good kiln.

I think it os OK.

Marcia

I also have a Cress kiln and it is supposed to cycle on and off especially when on the lower settings. As time goes on and as the power dial - i.e. the one with the 0-9 increases, this will eventually stop.

I would to their web site and download the manual. It helps explain everything.

I think this type of switch on the Cress kilns powers the coils in intervals...like 30 seconds and then off. As the settings increase, the amount of time the coils get power increases. Did you have the switches on the highest setting? I had a Cress years ago. It was a good kiln.

I think it os OK.

Marcia

Archived