Sign in to follow this  
savant

Earthenware Vs Stoneware

savant    0

What do ya'll think? If I fire earthenware and stoneware both to ^06 which will be most durable?

I want to burnish the piece, bisque fire it then smoke it in a metal can, which of these, earthenware or stoneware,

will take the smoke better?

earthartam    0

What do ya'll think? If I fire earthenware and stoneware both to ^06 which will be most durable?

I want to burnish the piece, bisque fire it then smoke it in a metal can, which of these, earthenware or stoneware,

Beware! Some earthenwares will melt into a puddle at ^6, while some stonewares will not mature at that temp. If you burnish an earthenware piece, then fire it to ^6, it will lose most of the shine, though it will still be relatively smooth. If you fire to ^6, the clay closes up too much to accept the smoke from a pitfire. If you bisque low, its my experience that either clay will smoke nicely, both red clays and white, though of course the whites are more dramatic.

Togeika    0

Earthenware should be more durable. Check with your supplier, you might want to fire just a little higher. You can read an article on the durability of different clays here:http://www.potters.org/subject87702.htm