removing latex resist from greenware

Natania

I have lately been using latex resist on greeware with colored slips. When I remove the latex, though, the dried slip around the edges breaks up in the air, causing a cloud of clay and mason stain dust. This does not strike me as particularly healthy. I've been wearing a dust mask but wonder if there is another way? I have tried spaying the pieces with water first which helps a little but it also re-wets the colored slips which then smudge on other, uncoated parts of the piece. Any ideas?

$1 mister bottle from the dollar store and only spritz the overlapping underglaze/colored slip with water before pealing off the latex mask. Get the small cosmetic/toiletry pocket size and not the larger window cleaner size. The smaller puts out a finer, more controlled mist so you don't get water runs and streaks. The amount of water needed will depend on how thick the underglaze/colored slip is over the mask. If its overlap is thick, give the water a second or two to absorb between mists. Works great. biggrin.gif

I have used misting the latex as a means to improve the removal process of the latex. I would focus on misting the latex for easy removal.

I do get glaze dust/crumbs along the edges , but still maintain a crisp edge. I use a sponge to dampen the latex. I seems to soften it, if it has had too much time to dry out...like a few hours. I try to never let it go overnight before removing it.

Marcia

Thanks for the suggestions. I was letting it stay on the greenware overnight. I didn't realize that this makes it brittle, which it sounds like it does from what you wrote, Marcia. I will try misting and removing the latex soon after it sets. Thanks very much!

Archived