I have been getting serious pitting on my glazed pots. Does not seem to be isolated to one glaze.  wondering if one problem could be that the initial bisque is not going hot enough.  I am electric kiln firing , using a Bartlett sitter at 04 bisque; completed at 13 hours. 

Would it be useful to try bisque firing a second time and maybe holding for 45 minutes?

Are there major dangers of cracking pot to bisque a 2nd time?

Thanks,

Stephenw

Stephenw, I have rebisqued pieces because of getting wax in the wrong place or some such thing.  I have not had a problem with rebisquing.   I also usually bisque to 04.

In my personal experience, I have tried certain manufacturer's clays that simply did not work with my glazes.  That was where I seemed to have the most problem with pitting.  The other reasons are 1.  I didn't wipe the pot off carefully before I glazed    2.  The kiln was not fired properly (hot enough) for the glaze firing.     I usually add a 10 minute or more hold at the top for the glaze firing.  Many people have recommended a slow cool as well.  3.  the glaze and clay simply do not fit.   

There are others on this forum who have much more experience than I do, so maybe they would have other suggestions. 

Roberta

Archived