What Should I Be Using To Create A Flame Proof Figure To Place Inside A Candle?

NIck91

Hey all! I've recently taken up the craft of working with clay and would like to make some gifts for my friends and family. Was thinking of trying to somewhat create a hatching dinosaur egg candle similar to ones seen on this link www.firebox.com/Hatching-Dinosaur-Candle/p7285

I've got my candle making skills sorted, I just need to create a figure that won't burn if the flame gets too close. The product page says they're made from porcelain and seem to be painted/glazed. It's also noted that you can expect the figures to get a bit sooty but can be wiped clean.

Is it at all possible to make this figure without the use of a kiln? Like using a flame retardant gloss/glaze on polymer or air dry clay? If that's not at all possible there are kilns firing services not too far from me. In either case, what type of materials should I be looking to buy to get that lovely glossy and unburnt finish?

Cheers!
Nick

post-78569-0-82907100-1469199652_thumb.jpg

post-78569-0-82907100-1469199652_thumb.jpg

I suggest that you use the Robin Hopper technique of "try it and see".  

Make some small figures with some moist clay, let the clay dry completely and then put it in a candle and see what happens. 

The surface will be less glossy than if it were glazed, but you will find out if the clay really must be fired. 

LT

Archived