Tomobako: Construction Of Traditional Japanese Boxes For Ceramic Art?

Does anyone here have any knowledge of how these traditional boxes are constructed?  Google offered hints but nothing concrete.

I assume they are created without nails, and that the sides 'snap' together.  I also know that in traditional Japanese construction of saya (saber scabbard) one uses a glue made from rice paste to bond together the wood down the middle, and I'm wondering if that's also used as an adhesive here?  

Not saying I would never work with commercial glues or nails to construct a box, btw, but I'm curious what methods contemporary Japanese potters have adopted/maintained?

Example:

I see that there was once an article hosted here about these exact boxes but its since been moved or deleted...

lucien koonce (google him) he makes his own tomobako  for his pottery.

i bought a inexpensive table saw  thinking......   but after using a $6000 table saw i realized what i bought is for building houses not boxes......

next in the 5 or so years ive been in pottery,  i have less than a dozen pieces that deserve boxes........

i've even seen tomabako crafted from cardboard (if you will)

i do know that paulowina is often the traditional choice of wood.  i've only handled one japanese made tomabako... and have much respect for the craft person/artist that makes them..... along with all its appropriate accessories

I expect Baymore San   to fill us in shortly.   

i've also seen dick lehman,   have some amazing tomabako  which i think some are made stateside

And i aware of a few potters that import paulowina tomabako from japan

i'm very interested to see further info in this thread....

Guest JBaymore

Busy right now...... end of semester at the college ................more later.

I import some from Japan.  I also have a local woodworker make some (American local woods).

In Japan they can be anywhere from very inexpensive to quite expensive... depending on the quality.

Here in the US... they are kinda' expensive.  Just like good pots....... good boxes require a good craftsman.

best,

....................john

The ones I have are very light. No nails. The works I own are from around Imari Japan. I think any type of wood would work. It may be cheaper and easier to purchase boxes than making your own. If you like building boxes great go for it. I would love to see what you come up with and the process and supplies used.

Archived