Potters pen smudging and running when using dipping glaze

meerkat20

Hi all, im a newby and I really need some help! I have been decorating bisque with Ez underglazes and Duncan French dimensions pens. When I dip them in the dipping glaze some, and it's def not all, of the writing done with the French dimensions pens is running and smudging a lot. In several instances some did and some didn't even on one piece of bisqueware. I have asked a few people in the know but they say they haven't heard of it before. I'm wondering if I am getting something fundamentally wrong? If I held it in the glaze for too long or something? The damage occurs immediately after dipping ie, I can see it's gone horribly wrong before they get anywhere near the kiln! They had been left to dry for ages before being dip glazed. In one case it was weeks, could this be the prob?

Any thoughts so much appreciated cos I love using the pens but I'm scared to ruin any more work!

Thanks for your time!

Ps the dipping glaze isn't one I mixed myself, it's still in the original tub it came in. I did stir it gently before dipping.

Are you using a Duncan dipping glaze like Pure Brilliance? If so, I would contact Duncan directly. They have very good customer support and you may have a bad batch of glaze. I don't dip, but have never had an issue with brushing clear glaze gently over french dimensions after fully dry. You may be holding the piece in the dipping glaze too long...

As for EZ Strokes, I typically use those on greenware. If I use EZ on bisque, I typically fire again before glazing or use it over a satin or matte glaze as a Majolica technique. How many coats of EZ Stokes did you use and how much coverage of the piece? Duncan Concepts are specifically made to go directly on bisque and then glazed before firing. They may give better results for you.

Are you using a Duncan dipping glaze like Pure Brilliance? If so, I would contact Duncan directly. They have very good customer support and you may have a bad batch of glaze. I don't dip, but have never had an issue with brushing clear glaze gently over french dimensions after fully dry. You may be holding the piece in the dipping glaze too long...

As for EZ Strokes, I typically use those on greenware. If I use EZ on bisque, I typically fire again before glazing or use it over a satin or matte glaze as a Majolica technique. How many coats of EZ Stokes did you use and how much coverage of the piece? Duncan Concepts are specifically made to go directly on bisque and then glazed before firing. They may give better results for you.

Here's an example of a piece of mine painted completely on bisque and fired again before clear glazing with Pure Brilliance. I wouldn't dreamed of glazing before firing for fear of smudging and running. PS - Can't take credit except for the work as this is a Duncan seminar project I completed on my own.

post-6591-13188715609_thumb.jpg

post-6591-13188715609_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I usually underglaze at the greenware state. I know the pieces are more fragile then, but the underglaze goes on easy. After a bisque fire (cone 04) I can reapply if some of the underglaze seems too thin. I then refire before glazing.

That's an awful lot of electricity "Idaho Potter". In Bermuda we need to be more conservative with power. So, I've found that bisque firing my pots, then working underglaze decorations on bisque works for me. I have been using a Diamond Clear or Envison Glaze by Duncan and I haven't had any problems with smearing.

I've just switched to Pure Brilliance - I find it VERY globby and thick. I really had to mix it with the paint mixing bit and electric drill and the hand whisk before it was properly ready for use. I can see how if you use it too thick it will drag the decoration and make it smudge. Try diluting it (not watery but like creamy yogart) and hand mixing the glaze after ever application. Dipping tongs with a quick wrist movement works well too. I am yet to find out how this new glaze fires.:unsure:

OMax (Bermuda)

The point I was trying to make is that if you use underglazes (applied with brush or pens), you need to fire the work before glazing so there won't be any smearing or smudging. I rarely have to do a second bisque firing because I make sure I apply enough underglaze that there are no thin spots. If it is necessary to re-bisque a pot, it just goes into the kiln with the next batch of greenware. The only thing lost is a little shelf space.

Archived